Rme Fireface

Jun 30, 2005
Devon, England
Looking into buying one of these beasts at some point, how would i get around the fact they only have 4 pres and i wanted to record a kit. Would i have to buy a quad/octamic/another fireface and link that to the existing fireface to get additional pres? Or are the line ins on the back sufficient? Couldnt really afford another fireface, could stretch and get the quadmic though. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you'd have to get an additional unit like the Quadmic. Digimax, etc. You COULD use the line-ins to patch in pre's that weren't ADAT capable, but IMO ADAT is the easiest way to go and gives you the 4 or 8 (Digimax) channels instantly, less hassle = more productivity.

Mackie Onyx 1200F. Firewire, two ADAT inputs and two ADAT outputs, 4 headphone channels with seperate DSP mixes, 12 Onyx pres, 2x MIDI I/O. Only $100 more than the FireFace800. Rock.

~e.a

DSS3 said:
Yeah, but the Fireface's included preamps are no doubt better than Mackie's, not to mention the converters of RME being some of the best out there.
+1

Familia, you'll need to use preamps if you're using microphones for the kit, so getting a quadmic is a minimum (that'll give you 8 preamps, which is quite not enough in my opinion but still workable). If you use triggers, you can plug them directly into the line in at the back of the FF.

Guess i'll be saving for the octamic, i dont recall it having adat though. I guess i could use the d-sub and feed 8 jacks to the inputs at the rear of the fireface, dont remember the octamic d mentioning adat either.

Cool, will look into getting the fireface and octamic d then. Never used adat before though, apart from the old alesis adats, do sequencers ( using nuendo ) pick up the extra inputs
ok?

Well, the preamps are actually on par with RME's. I'll give you the converter argument, however the Mackie stuff is actually pretty damn decent. In a shootout (which I'll have to find and post up), it beat out quite a few other interfaces, including a FirePod. I was just trying to offer a different solution to save the guy some cash though, 12 pre's that are just as good in an interface with about as many I/O options for only $100 more and he won't have to get another unit for more pres. 12 is really enough for project studio stuff.

~e.a

elephant-audio said:
Well, the preamps are actually on par with RME's. I'll give you the converter argument, however the Mackie stuff is actually pretty damn decent. In a shootout (which I'll have to find and post up), it beat out quite a few other interfaces, including a FirePod. I was just trying to offer a different solution to save the guy some cash though, 12 pre's that are just as good in an interface with about as many I/O options for only $100 more and he won't have to get another unit for more pres. 12 is really enough for project studio stuff.

~e.a

This unit hasn't even been released yet, has it? Only thing I'd be weary of is the driver and "whining" options users had with Mackie's first firewire unit (Onyx 400F I believe)

elephant-audio said:
Mackie Onyx 1200F. Firewire, two ADAT inputs and two ADAT outputs, 4 headphone channels with seperate DSP mixes, 12 Onyx pres, 2x MIDI I/O. Only $100 more than the FireFace800. Rock.

~e.a

Over here the Mackie is £700 more than the RME. For about £150 more than the Mackie, you can get two RME's. And since Familia is from the UK, he's gonna pay those prices.

CJWall said:
This unit hasn't even been released yet, has it? Only thing I'd be weary of is the driver and "whining" options users had with Mackie's first firewire unit (Onyx 400F I believe)

I don't think it has, all the places I looked said it was available on order.

It will be out in December everywhere. The Onyx preamps are the same as in all the other Onyx units though, and those pres are getting a lot of great reviews. The Onyx mixer I messed with a few weeks ago was great, the preamps were everything I could hope for.

Thats fucked up that it's a lot more overseas. Over here it's only $100US more. God I'm glad to be in the states. :p

~e.a