RMS and VU metering

RedDog

Humanoid typhoon
Sep 7, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma.
What do you dudes use for your RMS metering? I use Satson Buss for my VU, but I don't dig SPAN for RMS. I'm in Reaper and all my tracks are peak level only, it would be cool if they added RMS metering built in the next version.

It's pretty heavy on the CPU and I want something a little more lightweight for mixing. Mastering, however is a different story.

Well, for mixing a VU meter is sufficient IMO. Satson is really good for that, so is VUMT. But if you really want to use strictly RMS meter for mixing, use FreeG. It's a meter and trim plugin, all in one.

Yeah, I read something about free-G being awesome as fuck a while back. I have been using Satson as a VU and my only meter. I'm going to see if adding RMS values helps workflow.

For detailed analysis in Reaper, I use the JS audio_statistics plug that comes with it. Usually the very last thing on my masterchain.

For VU while mixing I use either VCC if it's the first plug, or PSP vintagemeter set to -18 calibration, and the second metermode (click on the VU-meter once) when it's somewhere in the middle of a chain, which is also free.

Question to the FreeG users. I've tried it yesterday, but whenever I ran an exact same track through it 3 times, it gave me a different RMS in the end every time. This never happened to me with the JS plug, so I think I'm doing something wrong. Anyone know why that could be?