Roberto Tiranti (Labyrinth) versus Moses...

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Find out who wins? :)

54.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FPi...useaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=147504635

By the way... when are these guys coming to Prog Power? It's too bad 6 Days to Nowhere is like only 1/10th as good as what they were capable of in their glory years (even Freeman was a lot better)... *sigh*.

The Michael

I am a big Labyrinth fan and I have to say that I am completely underwhelmed with 6 days.

Here's my problem with 6 Days to Nowhere...

The lyrics and song titles used to be majestic, romantic and fit the mood of the songs perfectly. These days, their lyrics are horrible. "Wolves N' Lambs", "Mother Earth", "Rusty Nail" are all prime examples.

The choruses and vocal melodies are hit or miss. They can come up with some truly powerful melodies, don't get me wrong. The problem is, I can really only name 3-4 good songs from the 14 on 6 Days... the rest are samey and forgettable.

Another problem is their lack of imagination with keyboards (the band used to have powerful sweeping symphonic sections and great keyboard melodies all over the place). 6 Days has a lot of midtempo power chord progressions with the keys used as an afterthought. In most cases, if you dumped the keyboards, you probably wouldn't notice. To me, this is a formula for boredom.

My biggest issue, however, is in the guitars. On only one song, "Mother Earth" (which has terrible lyrics by the way), do the majestic guitar harmonies and passionate solos return. If you listen to Return to Heaven Denied and close your eyes, you can feel the power and majesty in every note of those solos.

You won't hear songs like "Lady Lost in Time", "Out of Memory", "New Horizons", or "Night of Dreams" anymore. The self titled album in '03 was fairly decent... Freeman slightly less so but still enjoyable. And finally on 6 Days to Nowhere... as much as I tried to like it, I found it lacking many of the ingredients I loved about Labyrinth to begin with *mentioned above*.

Oh well, at least Vision Divine is still puting out truly fantastic progressive power metal. Please don't take this as me ragging on Labyrinth, as they are one of my favorite bands. I'm just pointing out a decline in quality over the years, directly related to the points I mentioned above.

The Michael

Oh... one more point I wanted to mention about Labyrinth.

Part of the reason I love them so much, is that they represent everything I appreciate so much about Prog Power. Too many heavy metal bands go with the whole black/evil/depression/horror theme -- playing in minor keys and downtuning guitars while playing thick heavy riffs. While I certainly feel this genre has its place and enjoy a great many bands with these elements, there are way too many metal bands all doing the same type of thing, and I prefer a little variety.

When I think of Labyrinth and Vision Divine, I think of an elegant, classy, uplifting form of power metal. They are never about trying to be the heaviest band in the scene and they'll take soaring harmonies over loud distorted noise in their speed riffing for their songs any day.

Their songs are plenty fast and heavy, just in a different way.

Just chiming in my thoughts :)

The Michael

Oh... one more point I wanted to mention about Labyrinth.

Part of the reason I love them so much, is that they represent everything I appreciate so much about Prog Power. Too many heavy metal bands go with the whole black/evil/depression/horror theme -- playing in minor keys and downtuning guitars while playing thick heavy riffs. While I certainly feel this genre has its place and enjoy a great many bands with these elements, there are way too many metal bands all doing the same type of thing, and I prefer a little variety.

When I think of Labyrinth and Vision Divine, I think of an elegant, classy, uplifting form of power metal. They are never about trying to be the heaviest band in the scene and they'll take soaring harmonies over loud distorted noise in their speed riffing for their songs any day.

Their songs are plenty fast and heavy, just in a different way.

Just chiming in my thoughts :)

The Michael

It pisses me off, that Labyrinth was such a relentless, fearless band. They were so fast, so majestic, so energetic. If I wanted some truly speedy speed metal, Return and Timeless Crime were it. Then Sons of Thunder came out, and I couldn't stand the sound of the drums. It's like nobody bothered to work on the drums to get them to sound appropriate, they just threw mics into the room and left it at that. Then Olaf leaves (wise decision!) and the self-titled album comes out. Great vocal melodies AND rhythmic patterns for Roberto to sing, excellent keyboard work, but still the same dry, weak drums and HORRIBLE guitar tone compared to the micron-precise tone and performance on Timeless Crime. Labyrinth and Freeman have a very loose, open, and ordinary sound to their guitar work, which is very uncharacteristic of the magic captured on Return.

I don't have a freakin clue what they're saying, but what voices!

I totally agree. Actually, I think Roberto Tiranti sounds as good playing "Ramesess" as he did playing "Rob Tyrant" back on RTHD. A lot of the melodies from the 10 Commandments musical have the lushness of the RTHD disc which Labyrinth hasn't been able to recapture since then (although 6 days is a step in that direction).

Sorta funny that I just watched The Ten Commandments back in April on ABC. I've seen it countless times over the past 30 years and it's one of my all-time favorite films, although it is VERY, VERY historically INaccurate.

So what metal band does Moses sing for? :lol: