Rock n Rolf is back!!!

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
What news! I am pretty amazed to be honest. I thought Rolf was just too old and tired but it seems that he started writing a couple of new songs for a best of CD as a farewell bonus but he got the bug for song writing again and decided to go the whole hog and make a new album of it. Only thing is we have to wait 6 months yet before it's out but what the hell better to wait another 6 months than have no RW album at all. I for one won't hear a bad word about Rolf. I think the guy's a genius for catchy metal song writing. A flawed one for sure cause he's a bit of a lone wolf looney but to me RW is the best German band ever, yes better than BG, Helloween, Gamma Ray whatever..we love you Cap'n, glad you're back! Up anchor and set sail!

http://www.running-wild.de/index.php

Good news, I just hope getting away for a while will get him inspired to write a good album, cause for me, the last good RW album was 1998's The Rivalry. After that, it was just average and mostly boring stuff. He should try to get a real band to write with him as well, just as the good old days.

But as a long-time RW fan, I still have hope the man can give us a good traditional heavy metal album.

via www.melodicrock.com :

"Reunited German metal legends Running Wild will release their brand new album Shadowmaker in Germany on April 20th, in Europe on April 23rd and in the US/Canada on April 24th 2012 on SPV / Steamhammer.
The album will be released as a limited first edition in a black jewel case with silver printing and slipcase plus a 40 min bonus DVD with a making of and a track by track commentary by Rock N´Rolf. The double gatefold LP will come with printed inner sleeves and clear vinyl. There also will be a box set limited to 1.000 copies worldwide. It contains 2 LPs, the black jewel case with the DVD, a poster, a sticker, a postcard and a 30 page book in LP size about the history of the band.
The cover of "Shadowmaker" is the most unusual in the history of the band, but when you listen to the title track and read the lyrics, you will understand the meaning of it. It was created by Rock N´Rolf and Jens Reinhold (Evergrey, Freedom Call, Virgin Steele etc...), who also will do the complete artwork for all configurations.
Stay tuned for more info about the recordings and other news within the next few weeks.

Tracklisting black jewel Case + DVD: CD 1.Piece Of The Action 4:25 2.Riding On The Tide 4:18 3.I Am Who I Am 4:51 4.Black Shadow 5:13 5.Locomotive 4:35 6.Me & The Boys 5:00 7.Shadowmaker 4:25 8.Sailing Fire 4:14 9.Into The Black 4:57 10.Dracula 7:29.
DVD: Making of “Shadowmaker" / Track by track commentary by Rock N´Rolf / Length approx. 40 min.

Boxset: - 2 LPs, clear vinyl - Black jewel case incl. DVD - Poster - Postcard - Sticker - 30 page book in LP size about the history of the band plus photos - 35 x 35 cm - hard cardboard material with top.

runningwild-shadowmaker.jpg

Rock N´Rolf did a video message to the fans last year about his thoughts about the new album, the past and the future:

WebLinks: www.running-wild.net / www.spv.de."

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news, I just hope getting away for a while will get him inspired to write a good album, cause for me, the last good RW album was 1998's The Rivalry. After that, it was just average and mostly boring stuff. He should try to get a real band to write with him as well, just as the good old days.

But as a long-time RW fan, I still have hope the man can give us a good traditional heavy metal album.

I generally agree. I liked The Rivalry a good bit, but based on reviews and general apathy, I never got anything they released after that (I have everything from Under Jolly Roger to The Rivalry). I agree that by the early to mid 90's it was starting to be a bit of a one man show, which led to a lot of the songs sounding a bit similar at times, and I would certainly welcome some songwriting participation from other band members (like they had from 1988 - 1992), however, with Kasparek retiring, then suddenly deciding to jump back into songwriting, he probably doesn't even have a full band together yet, and even if he does, they probably haven't been around long enough to participate much. So I'm guessing the forthcoming album will once again be written entirely by him.

I generally agree. I liked The Rivalry a good bit, but based on reviews and general apathy, I never got anything they released after that (I have everything from Under Jolly Roger to The Rivalry. I agree that by the early to mid 90's it was starting to be a bit of a one man show, which led to a lot of the songs sounding a bit similar at times, and I would certainly welcome some songwriting participation from other band members (like they had from 1988 - 1992), however, with Kasparek retiring, then suddenly deciding to jump back into songwriting, he probably doesn't even have a full band together yet, and even if he does, they probably haven't been around long enough to participate much. So I'm guessing the forthcoming album will once again be written entirely by him.

You're not missing much. For me, the last good RW album is The Rivalry. After, it was more of the same with quite weak songwriting. Rolf had run out of ideas. I would have liked a full band for the new album, but as you said, it'll most likely be a one-man show again. Let's just hope that having been away for a while gave Rolf some inspiration to write more exciting stuff.

BTW, you should try Gates To Purgatory and Branded & Exiled. Yes, it sounds "older" but this is fine 80s German HM stuff.

Well anyway I disagree about some of the latest RW stuff being bad. There are many great songs released after The Rivalry. Maybe not classic but never bad or boring in my book. Also RW has always been a one man show and to complain about it being a one man show is ludicrous to me. It's like saying Mustaine shouldn't write all the songs in Megadeth, it doesn't work. Rolf IS RW and he HAS to write all the songs good or bad IMO.

Anyway here's the tracklist for Shadowmaker. Dracula will of course be the mandatory RW epic no doubt. Some of the song titles seem quite dark overall apart from Me & the Boys lol!

Disc I [CD]
01. Piece Of The Action
02. Riding On The Tide
03. I Am Who I Am
04. Black Shadow
05. Locomotive
06. Me & The Boys
07. Shadowmaker
08. Sailing Fire
09. Into The Black
10. Dracula

Disc II [DVD]
01. Making of "Shadowmaker"
02. Track by track commentary by Rock N' Rolf

This album is no doubt gonna get a whole heap of mixed reviews that's for sure. However after 1 play I already like the album a lot. It is a fun album and it is better than Rogues En Vogue although there is no song here as good as The War on here. I find the album to be quite frivolous and happy go lucky at times and then other songs are quite dark and mysterious. The production is good and if that's a drum machine which it no doubt is, then I don't care cause it sounds ok. The songs are not always blessed with a great hook but they are pretty energetic and still fun.

Actually I think my fave song maybe Me and the boys. It's so funny and catchy although not really a true RW song but catchy as hell! I also like the autobiographical I am who I am with it's very fast and groovy pace. Sailing Fire, a homage to melodic pirate metal songs of old is probably my equal fave with Me and the boys. Riding on the Tide and it's happy go lucky feel also works for me. Locomotive' heaviness is pretty cool and the final pretty complex and riffy epic Dracula showcases quite a heft pack of riffs.

The dark tracks Shadowmaker, Into The Black and Black Shadow need more spins for sure but they might grow with time. Piece of the action is a slightly disappointing opener though. Needs more of a hook for me. All in all I think the album is flawed but still fun and not terrible as some reviews would have you believe. Easily worth 7/10 and may reach 8/10 if you get a hold on some of the darker less melodic songs. Maybe Rolf will get even more inspired and make another new album soon as follow up to this will be even better. This album was apparently written very spontaneously and if this album is a small success maybe there will be another one pretty soon after who knows. Either way I am glad this album is out although it's more like a Rolf solo disk if anything but I guess that ain't gonna sell as well as anything with the RW logo. I am sure the label would never in a million years release a solo disk and lose sales. Anyway good to have Cap'n Rolf back!

This album is no doubt gonna get a whole heap of mixed reviews that's for sure. However after 1 play I already like the album a lot. It is a fun album and it is better than Rogues En Vogue although there is no song here as good as The War on here. I find the album to be quite frivolous and happy go lucky at times and then other songs are quite dark and mysterious. The production is good and if that's a drum machine which it no doubt is, then I don't care cause it sounds ok. The songs are not always blessed with a great hook but they are pretty energetic and still fun.

Actually I think my fave song maybe Me and the boys. It's so funny and catchy although not really a true RW song but catchy as hell! I also like the autobiographical I am who I am with it's very fast and groovy pace. Sailing Fire, a homage to melodic pirate metal songs of old is probably my equal fave with Me and the boys. Riding on the Tide and it's happy go lucky feel also works for me. Locomotive' heaviness is pretty cool and the final pretty complex and riffy epic Dracula showcases quite a heft pack of riffs.

The dark tracks Shadowmaker, Into The Black and Black Shadow need more spins for sure but they might grow with time. Piece of the action is a slightly disappointing opener though. Needs more of a hook for me. All in all I think the album is flawed but still fun and not terrible as some reviews would have you believe. Easily worth 7/10 and may reach 8/10 if you get a hold on some of the darker less melodic songs. Maybe Rolf will get even more inspired and make another new album soon as follow up to this will be even better. This album was apparently written very spontaneously and if this album is a small success maybe there will be another one pretty soon after who knows. Either way I am glad this album is out although it's more like a Rolf solo disk if anything but I guess that ain't gonna sell as well as anything with the RW logo. I am sure the label would never in a million years release a solo disk and lose sales. Anyway good to have Cap'n Rolf back!

I quite agree with you Pirage. I like the album, and it's surely better than the latest few prior to this one. People who expect another Black Hand Inn double-bass RW album will surely be disappointed, but if you want some good traditional HM with hard rocking touches (like in Me & The Boys), then this new RW does the trick just fine.