Roope's interview

As far as I can see, this thing has just recently blown up, fans have probably already attacked/lavished the band and Alexi with questions, so I think soon they will be forced (by the masses of the fans) to comment on Roope's statement.

Btw when Roope joined Bodom, he soon became an internationally recognised guitarist, before that he was only a Finnish rock star, and lot of fans from around the world (like me) started to like his attitude and how he was a famous person in Finland before COB, we found out his early projects etc. So the pressure on the band is much more higher to give us a proper explanation.

Last edited:
Well, that's messed up. I'm sure there's truth to both sides as always. Roope is a nice guy, he lacked energy on stage, but I learned to appreciate his playing more after he left and now with Daniel playing things pretty much by the book I miss the cool touches that Roope added.

But it's about the future now and I hope he can get it together, form a band--if he's as big and good as people say, then there's no reason for him to wait to be invited somewhere. With COB distancing itself from its roots, there's a big ol' space for a Roope band to fill.

Best case scenario: they re-form Stone and make an old-school thrash album. They can't do worse than COB really.

Reactions: RICJAMES
I think it has to do with the drinking.

My guess is that this is like 75% of the reason. I quit drinking 9+ years ago because it was my only real option besides ruining my life. Since then, drunk people annoy the hell out of me. There seems to be people that drink till near death and quit around their early/mid 30's, and those that get worse until they are too old and useless in every way.

Also two guitarists. Being the main guitarist who calls the shots... sometimes it sucks to even have another guitar player around, for better or worse.

Lastly, I suspect Roope spoke his mind and didn't really acknowledge that AL is the shot caller. "That Kid Alexi", dude he's almost 40 now. Same age as me.

Anywayz, I'm glad Roope may have a light at the end of his tunnel. Sadly I think he really needs to stop drinking completely if he really wants to get his life back on track.

^ 6 years since I quit drinking... I realized there wasn't enough room in my life for both that dark temptation and my true desires.

I feel uncomfortable speculating about affairs of strangers, but I just say to me Roope's interview explains everything, just not in the way he sees it. Such an event would be terribly hard to accept for anyone; it creates disappointment, shame and bitterness, and what the ego likes to do is blame others. I genuinely think he should go talk things thru to a therapist, it would help him to regain control of his life and work for his passions instead of dwelling over these things. If you're ready to stare at reality in the face, delusions are broken down and replaced with your real passions, what you cannot change versus what you can change. He said he has depression and drinking issue. Is he trying to block the source of that problem by convincing himself it's because the band treated him wrong? It would also be beneficial because he said the events made him stop playing, he created an emotional barrier over his strongest force (guitar playing), whether it was for losing faith in ability or punishing himself subconsciously. That's pretty serious. Even if it wasn't his fault at all and he was just 'stabbed in the back' like he says, what is real is he is dealing with depression and alcohol, and that's where therapy would be beneficial. It's not a shame to go, it's a shame not to go. Since he can shred, there's only himself standing in the way of setting up a band where he's the lead guitarist.

Last edited:
Even if Roope may be a drunktard, he can still be right. Some people sound like if Roope
has literally no brain anymore. I literally see Alexi (and the rest of the band) at least 2-3
times a year, and I can definitely tell that Alexi became kinda dickish over the last years.
Sure, maybe it's kinda a mid-life crisis, dude is almost 40 by now, but at the times I first met
him, he was way friendlier and more open to people in general. Maybe it's natural process
of aging, but he is kinda grumpy and more cocky these days. Sure, he acts not as
bad as YJM, but he may definitely acted like an ass at some times to his bandmates,
especially Roope.

Touching interview. Thanks for your time translating all that tragician.

Seems like a shitty way to fire him and surely they could have eased into it then save it for the day to start recording. Having him standing there will his gear and ready to start only to find out he is out of the band is harsh. But we don't know what kind of relation they have had in the band leading up to him being fired. They are probably all at fault and perhaps it could have been solved with better communication.

Anyway, I hope Roope can pull himself up and that we will see him on stages in the near future with some other band. He is such a talent.

One thing is it's authentic to draw stuff to art from your own experiences, but I guess with Bodom it became too much about Alexi at some point, maybe it irritates the rest of the band. Maybe take a healthy distance to that so it isn't all drawn from the composer's personal life, you can alter it to something more symbolic while still doing it with blood. I mean AYDY was heavily inspired by Alexi's careless partying, Blooddrunk about female grudges, Halo of Blood about suicided friends, IWC about Alexi's anxiety in silence. I think the albums Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper had it just right; you could tell the composer vented his haunting feelings into the art, but it was still art first. This is vague of course and only an educated fan would know, but when it gets too close and personal there's some beauty lost from the art making process on some unconscious level. There is also darkness and disturbing things about life that touch all of us and is easily relatable, but isn't necessarily the mental baggage of one person disguised as art. Don't get me wrong, the band still has to be professional to understand the composion power is primarily Alexi's, but art in itself becomes better when you do it for the art itself rather than for a testimony of your suffering. Maybe Alexi meant the lyrics, and that's where it should be personal, but we've come to the point when the albums of COB have a legacy of their own and all effort should be put into making another COB masterpiece and forgetting everything personal. They need to respect the fact that Bodom's ultimate style is in songs like Warheart, and not let anything get in the way of duplicating that atmosphere (even if it's disturbing chemistry between band members of course). Don't let anything get in the way. At first you think your art has to be written with blood to be great, but then once it becomes great and original in itself you can distance your own experiences from it and think what serves the art project purely, this also means sacking all unnecessary and impure influences you feel would serve the art when in reality it's leading it off the rail. Maybe they're back on track now since there was the return to old school songs and no clash between guitarists now. Something didn't work before and I'm sorry to say but fans care about the art, not who was treated worse. I guess Finnish guys think things just get worse if you try to treat them by talking, so they just split. In this land distance between neighbours was so big it was safer to cut connections rather than deal with bad blood, whereas in the south you had to get along with your close neighbours so they're more mouthful about everything.

Last edited: