Rotting Christ - Theogonia

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Whoa!

After reading some pretty outstanding reviews of this new album, I finally got it. I've never really even heard Rotting Christ before, but this one is supposedly WAY better than other recent stuff from them.

It is a mixture of modern BM and ethnic DM like Nile and Melecesh. VERY impressive. Are other people here into this album?

Nate The Great said:
It is a mixture of modern BM and ethnic DM like Nile and Melecesh. VERY impressive. Are other people here into this album?
The "ethnic", "folk" elements are mostly driven by greek traditional folk music, the instrument is also greek. Anyway yes the album is far better than their recent stuff, that doesn't say much of course. Good album.

Ok, so my girlfriend wants me to go see this band in a couple of months and I'm very unfamiliar with their stuff.

Anyone feel like posting a description and some samples please?

I'm digging this album, which is quite a feat for this band, considering I haven't liked a release by them since Non Serviam.

Yeah, it's pretty good. Back to the smoothness and melody of their mid-period, unlike the harsh black-metally stuff of their last couple albums. That sellout goth-pop period ('A Dead Poem', 'Sleep of the Angels') is where it's at for me though.

Neil

I am loving this. A total throwback to the gothy Dead Poem/Sleep of the Angels period. Would fit right in with that mid 90's Tiamat, Samael, Rotting Christ sound.