Royal Thunder - CVI

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Haven't pimped a band in a while, but these guys (and gal) deserve more attention. Their latest release, CVI, kicks all sorts of ass. I believe the whole CD is available to be streamed from here. If you just want to get a quick taste, check out the tracks "Whispering World" and "Blue":

http://royalthunder.bandcamp.com/

From Band Camp:

Royal Thunder’s debut full length ‘CVI’ (roman numeral 106) explodes in sound in a way that their critically heralded debut ep only hinted at. Propelled by singer Mlny Parsonz’ captivatingly passionate and soulful vocals, ‘CVI’ is a psych/prog/metal fan’s dream come true---a triumphant display of crescendo-ing riffs, sultry vocals and propulsive grooves. Way way more than just a brilliant metal album, ‘CVI’ is a sultry southern hard rock thinker of an album that appeals to both the Skynyrd and the Neurosis sides of the brain. An absolute must have for fans of the Atlanta and Savannah metal and hard rock scenes (Mastodon, Baroness, Kylesa, Black Tusk, etc).

Decent enough band. Not my thing. Solid live. Apparently they've been added to the upcoming Enslaved tour, so they'll be playing most everywhere (except Atlanta, of course) shortly.

Ironically, after discovering how much I enjoyed their music, I went online to find out if they'd be performing anywhere near me. Turns out, they're opening for Monster Magnet, who I was already planning to go see on Sunday. A nice little surprise.

These guys, Witch Mountain, Christian Mistress, and The Devil's Blood, are certainly bands with female singers I can get behind.

I like this kinda stuff more than the Delains, Amaranthes, and such.

Here's another one: Second Grave from Massachusetts. The bass player was in a well-loved band called Black Pyramid for years (actually he might be in both bands right now, I don't know). I won't embed the vid since I don't want to slow the thread down. I'm not as wild over this style as some people but when it's good, it's good. EDIT: I didn't realize it would automatically embed the video, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you 100%. Give this one a few listens. I think it's head and shoulders above the others you mentioned (who I also like).

If you're into that stuff, do yourself a favor and check out the Jess and the Ancient Ones LP that came out this year. Fantastic album. One of my top 10 for the year.