Rpwl

rhavin2112

Lost to Apathy
Feb 26, 2002
Knoxville, TN
www.appropriateapocalypse.com
This band is simply amazing. I have been lucky enough to recieve promos from their last two releases (thanks Eric!) and am stunned by their ability and talent.

Any fan of mid era Marillion, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and early seventies mellow prog must seek out this band.

Look for a full review of the Band's latest "Stock" on my webzine soon and check out the current review of their last record here:

RPWL
Trying To Kiss The Sun
(Inside Out)

Tracklisting:

1) Trying To Kiss the Sun (3:55) 2) Waiting For A smile (7:04) 3) I Don’t Know (What Its Like) (4:32) 4) Sugar For The Ape (5:03) 5) Side By Side (8:35) 6) You (6:49) 7) Tell Me Why (5:08) 8) Believe Me (5:14) 9) Sunday Morning (4:29) 10) Home Again (8:52)

Rumor has it that English based RPWL started out as a Pink Floyd cover band before deciding to try their hand at original compositions. I, for one, am glad they did. Trying To Kiss The Sun, The band’s second full-length release, is an outstanding record that just may find its way onto many best-of lists this year. Kudos to Inside Out for signing this unusual and unique band. A label whose more well known acts (Symphony X, Evergrey) seem to dominate, It is gratifying to know the label seems to be concentrating on progressive rock as much as it is concentrating on progressive metal. Trying To Kiss The Sun is a beautiful, airy piece of work that calls to mind early Pink Floyd, as well as Marillion and even a smidgen of Porcupine Tree. Each song is given the time it needs to breathe and as a result some of the longer numbers, such as “Waiting For A Smile” become moving epics of sound. You won’t find wailing guitars and heavy riffs on this record. What you will find is a sound that harkens back to the 70’s without sounding dated. Keyboardist Andreas Wernthaler enhances every single one of these tracks, infusing them with a warm ambience not heard since Tony Banks and alongside guitarist Karlheinz Wallner the gentle interplay of both instruments is gorgeous. With all the Pink Floyd comparisons thrown around when discussing this band, it would be safe to say that a touch of the psychedelia of that revered band is present here. But for me that is where the Floyd comparisons would end. I hear so much more when listening to Trying To Kiss The Sun. I hear a multitiude of influences, but I also hear a band with its own voice. RPWL won’t be for everyone, but if you have of love of any of the influences referenced in this review, then RPWL is a required purchase. One of my top 10 of the year.

-rhavin2112