Runhild Gammelsaeter...

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
..she was the lead vocalist for Thorr's Hammer (formed by Stephen O'Malley & Gregg Anderson - not the shitty Polish nazi crap). I have finally managed to get my hands on Dommedagsnatte - expect a review at some point.

Anyway, it's truly hard to imagine anything more Doom-laden, and her brutal vocals are unnerving to say the least. She's also rather beautiful, or so it seems...

TH1.jpg

I did a phone interview with Greg Anderson last year, and we talked breifly about her. Apparently she is getting a PHD in something right now. I'll have to check my interview and see if I posted that info.

So you've heard this material then Nathan? What are your thoughts? Can those vocals be real?!!

You're a Stephen O'Malley fan too aren't you? I'm curious about Khanate.

I've never actually heard Thorr's Hammer (is that the correct spelling? . . . the two bands are spelled differently I think). Tell me where I can find it and I'll buy it.

I love Stephen O'Malley's stuff.

Khanate is TOTALLY sick and black as hell. They play very slow, twisted, blackened-to-the-point-of-oblivion doom. You won't hear anything more wicked and frightening. Khanate's self titled (their only CD so far) is one of my favorite CD's of all time. If I had money to spare, I'd send you my copy and buy another. That's how much I like it.

Here's a deal: you buy Khanate, and I'll buy whatever CD you recommend. Make sure it's something you think I will like.

npearce said:
I've never actually heard Thorr's Hammer (is that the correct spelling? . . . the two bands are spelled differently I think). Tell me where I can find it and I'll buy it.

Yep that's how you spell it. Check it out on http://www.blackmetal.com/~mega/moribund/TH/ If you can't find it, I'll burn you a CD-R. I hunted mine down on eBay.

I have NEVER heard vocals from a womans voice quite like these. And she's blonde. And I have a weakness for blondes. And she's studying for her PhD. Damn.

You know she was Isahn's girlfriend at one point yeah?

Here's a deal: you buy Khanate, and I'll buy whatever CD you recommend. Make sure it's something you think I will like.

Khanate it is then. Also, both O'Malley and Anderson collaborated on Sunn O))) - described as "Skepticism at 1/4 speed". The thought of drone riffs like that make me want to vomit. Any thoughts on Sunn O)))?

I don't know what to recommend since I'm going through the biggest musical transitions in my life right now. I know for a fact that it's to do with the webzine and wanting to literally study the artform from all genres. Thank god we have such a varied team - it's really enlightening.

Look - I know I've been going on about them recently, but do you have any Empyrium? If not, get yourself Weiland. It is the most sorrowful haunting beautiful music I have heard. If you were touched by Anathema's 'Alternative 4', then this Weiland will be the theme to your funeral. (Especially if you choose to be buried in a forest). After Weiland, make your way backwards.

I'm actually scared to review Weiland. I hope Erik gives Empyrium a go (Wood Grouse), and I'll follow suit.

phyre said:
Sunn O))) is much noisier than Skepticism. Skepticism really aren't all that extreme... Or well, they are compared to 99% of all doom, but then there's stuff like Sunn O)))... Personally I can't really listen to stuff like that for longer periods of time.

Of course, it has to match the mood. I wonder, though, what mood you would have to be in to listen to Sunn O))) or Khanate? It's the sickness that intrigues me.

Thorr's Hammer is sewer-scraping guttural doom/death. But I'm sure it's a walk in the park for npearce.

JayKeeley: I wish I could review Grouse, and I'll probably try but it seems bloody difficult.

I'm not going to publish anything of mine until you read it first.

Son of a . . .

I just typed a response, but it didn't go through.

Anyway . . .

Sunn0))) is releasing a new CD with some vocals by Runhild and Attila Csihar (Mayhem, Aborym, etc.). Attila is supposed to be sending me a copy, but I just saw that you can get it at www.southernlord.com

Sunn0))) is doom/drone. It is like being in a weird void of noise and compression. It is meant to create a sense of being in a trance while listening.

Khanate is blackened, noisey doom. It is meant to prepare you how to be a demonic serial killer on the prowl. I can see Ed Gein listening to Khanate "Skin Coat" while wearing the skin of his victims and dancing in the moon light on a clear autumn night. It's truly sickening and frightening stuff. I can't praise Khanate enough.

Get all your doom at www.southernlord.com

So, JayKeeley, am I ordering Empyrium 'Weiland' if you order Khanate?

npearce said:
Son of a . . .

I just typed a response, but it didn't go through.
That's why I always do CTRL + C to copy my text before I submit...it's a pain but it saves you from having to type again if the server crashes.
So, JayKeeley, am I ordering Empyrium 'Weiland' if you order Khanate?
Yes. I'm assuming I should go to Southern Lord for that right?

Both Erik and Doom should support my recommendation for Empyrium. I'm going to attempt a review on Weiland this weekend.

You might do a quick check of ebay, but I'd probably just order from www.southernlord.com

Looks like The End has Empyrium. They call 'Weiland' German forrest music.

It should be $12 plus shipping. I've never found a really cheap distributor of heavy doom. Greg Anderson is the owner of Southern Lord Records. When I talked to him he seemed very cool. Your website should try to hook up with him. A lot of his stuff is going to have a VERY narrow audience, and I will have to kill you if you give very many bad reviews.

npearce said:
Looks like The End has Empyrium. They call 'Weiland' German forrest music.

Yes, do note that some/all lyrics are in German on Weiland. It sincerely adds to the ambience.

Greg Anderson is the owner of Southern Lord Records. When I talked to him he seemed very cool. Your website should try to hook up with him. A lot of his stuff is going to have a VERY narrow audience, and I will have to kill you if you give very many bad reviews.

Yeah we should. I need to hear some Earth as well. I wonder if Papa Josh already knows the guy? Papa?

npearce said:
It should be $12 plus shipping. I've never found a really cheap distributor of heavy doom.

SouthernLord is charging $18 (incl.shipping) for Khanate....let me check out eBay. :ill:

I do want it though - so I'll get it one way or the other.:hotjump:

npearce said:
I'm currently keeping an eye on ebay for Thorr's Hammer. I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, though. It's a pretty rare CD these days.

Yeah it's rare but not in high demand. When I found mine on eBay, I placed my bid 5 days before the closing date, and not one other person ever bid. I ended up paying $7.99 plus $2 shipping.

Keep those eyes peeled.

npearce said:
I'm currently keeping an eye on ebay for Thorr's Hammer. I don't know if I'll be able to afford it, though. It's a pretty rare CD these days.

Hey npearce - I just got a note from a friend saying that Khanate are playing in NY on June 5th. What do you think? Worth going to see a live appearance?

Also, check your PM.