Running sound in a reflective room... suggestions?

Apr 5, 2008
Washington
I got hired to run sound for a couple of DIY metal shows in an art gallery (hardwood floors, high ceilings, no dampening, lots of open space) and I'm wondering what I can do to make it sound less shitty. Just going to be running the vocals through the PA, maybe kick too but there's no subs. I've heard that putting the speakers next to each other on stands instead of on each side of the stage could help with standing waves and feedback so I might try that. Any other tricks you live guys have come up with over the years? Here's a shot of the space:

6818472068_6199affef7_z.jpg

I've heard that putting the speakers next to each other on stands instead of on each side of the stage could help with standing waves and feedback so I might try that.

False. All this is going to do is screw up your audience coverage and cause comb filtering.

If possible tune the room with a 31 band EQ before the shows and attempt to tone down really offensive frequencies.. sometimes you will end up with a ridiculous looking graph like this if the room is REALLY bad.

AV7ux.jpg

Basically all I can offer you is make the band play at a reasonable volume, the less reflections you have from stage volume the better it will sound, but with only kick and vocals in the PA, it's gonna be a crapshoot as to how it will sound anyways. What kind of boxes does the place have?

In all honesty a reflective room like that is going to nothing short of a nightmare. Rooms like this tend to get into "full frequency feedback" territory VERY quickly. Your only option is to get the band to play as quietly as physically possible, and for metal bands that's going to be incredibly difficult.

If you manage to get the vocals audible above the backline at all I'd consider yourself extremely lucky.
I would be tempted to say you should be considering doing some muting on the drums and cymbals to try and bring the overall volume down. Believe me it pains me to say it, and you'll get nothing but grief and bullshit from the bands and drummers, but if the room is as bad as I think it might be then it could really help you out.

I did a gig in a similar art space not too long ago, it's pretty horrible. Bring gates if you're gonna mic any drums.

If you have access to any really large draping curtain and a means to hang it then try that but it's not gonna do that much. I'd recommend draping the sides and back of the "stage" and throw some rugs/carpet on the floor.

Rooms like that tend to have a really powerful reverb that mucks up everything. Drums and bass are the worst in this situation as the low end seems to excite the room and generate loads of the verb. Good luck!

False. All this is going to do is screw up your audience coverage and cause comb filtering.
Good to know; thanks

If possible tune the room with a 31 band EQ before the shows and attempt to tone down really offensive frequencies..
Basically all I can offer you is make the band play at a reasonable volume, the less reflections you have from stage volume the better it will sound, but with only kick and vocals in the PA, it's gonna be a crapshoot as to how it will sound anyways. What kind of boxes does the place have?
It's an old Sunn powered mixer and two JBL 12/horns on stands :zombie: They know the acoustics are horrible in there (I did a loud doom metal band with clean female vocals in there a couple months ago), but it's low-budget and they just want someone there for damage control. I'd still like to do whatever I can though!

In all honesty a reflective room like that is going to nothing short of a nightmare. Rooms like this tend to get into "full frequency feedback" territory VERY quickly. Your only option is to get the band to play as quietly as physically possible, and for metal bands that's going to be incredibly difficult.

If you manage to get the vocals audible above the backline at all I'd consider yourself extremely lucky.
I would be tempted to say you should be considering doing some muting on the drums and cymbals to try and bring the overall volume down. Believe me it pains me to say it, and you'll get nothing but grief and bullshit from the bands and drummers, but if the room is as bad as I think it might be then it could really help you out.
Word. It's crusty underground bands so I'm hoping they'll be more willing to put their egos aside and do what they can

I did a gig in a similar art space not too long ago, it's pretty horrible. Bring gates if you're gonna mic any drums.

If you have access to any really large draping curtain and a means to hang it then try that but it's not gonna do that much. I'd recommend draping the sides and back of the "stage" and throw some rugs/carpet on the floor.

Rooms like that tend to have a really powerful reverb that mucks up everything. Drums and bass are the worst in this situation as the low end seems to excite the room and generate loads of the verb. Good luck!
Good idea... I might try to gate/expand the vocals too now that you mention it. Maybe the promoters can round up some dampening material. Thanks!

Good to know; thanks

It's an old Sunn powered mixer and two JBL 12/horns on stands :zombie: They know the acoustics are horrible in there (I did a loud doom metal band with clean female vocals in there a couple months ago), but it's low-budget and they just want someone there for damage control. I'd still like to do whatever I can though!

Word. It's crusty underground bands so I'm hoping they'll be more willing to put their egos aside and do what they can

Good idea... I might try to gate/expand the vocals too now that you mention it. Maybe the promoters can round up some dampening material. Thanks!

The Arty crowd might have some heavy curtain /material.
Gating the vocal is an option but be careful and err on the side of caution. Vocalists can be very dynamic and they can interpret their vocal cutting out on super quiet sounds as it being broken.

Also in my experience, crusty underground bands are the least understanding about playing to the room. Bands not used to a decent sound setup are usually the most ignorant of the problems involved with live sound and see anything the engineer asking them to change as the engineer not knowing what the band sound like.

tape the cymbals.

mic the kick, high pass it to just get the attack on the PA.

turn the vocals super loud.

mix the band with their backline, including eq sections of amplifiers and volume controls (be prepared to get shitstormed by the band)

bring A LOT of people in to dampen the room.

ultimately: run away. honestly, theres no real way of fixing this.

Do you best to fill the room with people. They can be your broadband gobos. The height reflections are going to be something that you cannot mitigate without treatment.

Another thought... more booze to the guests. Then they wont notice. I suggest booze for you too so you wont notice or care.

Keep the speakers (including guitar cabs) pointed at the middle audience.

Using the audience as absorbers will ensure they will at least hear some of the band's sound, rather than the huge diffuse field.

Looks like a cool room for acoustic artists though!

Don't do it if the bands' music is stylistically tight and relies on a separated sound, try and get bands that work with a reverby vibe.

Don't overdo the high end, that would just be a nightmare.

+1 to blankets. Get loads of them.

I've been involved in some pretty great sounding shows in very similar situations. I would suggest getting in contact with the bands in advance and talking with them about having to work TOGETHER to make it sound good in there. With some thorough communication, most bands (unless they're just total assholes) should be ok with you touching the knobs on their amps and stuff.

In my experience, shows sound terrible when the sound guy's only request is "turn it down!" It pisses the band off and doesn't usually fix much.

If one of the guitar amps is ear-piercingly shrill, get in there and turn the treble down, etc..

Setting up a back-line is also an idea, but probably more trouble than it's worth. Usually just pisses everybody (including you) off.

Edit: And if you decide to put the high end of the kick through the PA, you might try to get your hands on a compressor. It helps muchas.