Ruthless: Cool new death metal band featuring my growls

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Hey guys, funny new layout we have here!

So without interfering with my active band Bloodhunter, I started singing in a new band with some friends who asked me to join. We have our first local show this Friday so in order to have something to show before the (punny) show, we recorded two songs and made a video for one of them all really quickly. The other song is yet to be mixed (bad drum edits from the drum engineer made it impossible to have it in time for the show), but here's our first single accompanied by a playthrough video, "Waves Of Denial".

Music written by Mizzy (the guitarist with the huge pecs), lyrics by me. Also produced, mixed and mastered by me, with Axe FX II reamps provided by my buddy and bandmate Fenris from Bloodhunter. The video was done by my wife here in the studio while I took breaks from mixing to clean the house (damn home studios)

Hope you like it!

Edit: You can now download the EP for free here: http://www.ruthlessdeath.bandcamp.com/

Last edited:
Good song man ! I like the song and the production overall, very nice sound. What amp models did you use ?

P.D: Me ha costado reconocer que el que cantaba es la misma persona de la foto de tu avatar jajaja :p

Good song man ! I like the song and the production overall, very nice sound. What amp models did you use ?

P.D: Me ha costado reconocer que el que cantaba es la misma persona de la foto de tu avatar jajaja :p

Hahahaha the pic in my avatar is like 5 years old, the video was recorded last week so that's probably a factor! Perfect Spanish for a guy who lives in Sweden, I'm going to assume you're not exactly Swedish?

Thanks a lot, glad you liked it! I think the ampsim used was a 5150 model with a Bogner cab, one of the paid IR packages he said. He sent me two tracks for each guitar part, one with a 57 and one with a 421. For tracking I got a really cool tone with TSE X50 V2 so when I sent them to reamp I told him to base himself off that tone cause it's pretty much what we want except that the AXE FX II has more options and better chances of getting a higher quality tone.

Hahahaha the pic in my avatar is like 5 years old, the video was recorded last week so that's probably a factor! Perfect Spanish for a guy who lives in Sweden, I'm going to assume you're not exactly Swedish?

Thanks a lot, glad you liked it! I think the ampsim used was a 5150 model with a Bogner cab, one of the paid IR packages he said. He sent me two tracks for each guitar part, one with a 57 and one with a 421. For tracking I got a really cool tone with TSE X50 V2 so when I sent them to reamp I told him to base himself off that tone cause it's pretty much what we want except that the AXE FX II has more options and better chances of getting a higher quality tone.

Yeap, living in Sweden but not Swedish.

Thanks a lot for the info mate. 5150 always delivers :) Keep up the good work.

Hey, just watched your Vid. Really enjoyed the music - good work, i like it :headbang:
Cant tell about the production, right now im @ work and listening on a crappy Computer with built in speakers..

Is this the Shure SM7B you used on Vokills? Always wanted to try that one out, what a fucking great mic it is.
My Singer has an identical Style to yours, he loves to Growl but does also Screams ( not that core shit though ^^) always wanted to try that SM7B.

Cheers bro

Thanks! Yeah it's an SM7B, I've tried many mics for growls and this has been the best sounding one so far. The filters set up as you can see in the video is the way to go for me, the highpass is way too extreme for my taste, but the bell curve one really gives it an extra boost of life to the vocals.

Fuckin ace man! Great stuff!

Glad you like it Marco!

It works wonderfully on my band's singer vocals (both browls and black metal vocals) too, with the same filters settings, it's really a cool microphone, but its sound is quite "rough" so I wouldn"t recommend it on really nuanced type of singing.
Anyway wat it does, it does well!

On the main topic, your vocals sound cool and I like the mix, even If the snare is a bit loud for my taste.

It works wonderfully on my band's singer vocals (both browls and black metal vocals) too, with the same filters settings, it's really a cool microphone, but its sound is quite "rough" so I wouldn"t recommend it on really nuanced type of singing.
Anyway wat it does, it does well!

On the main topic, your vocals sound cool and I like the mix, even If the snare is a bit loud for my taste.

Thanks! Yeah the snare is a matter of taste, I have the habit of mixing my snares pretty loud and a couple of friends always tell me turn it down hahaha it was originally louder, in fact I honestly feel it's a bit too low in the mix!