S.o.a.d.

Southern Man I Am

Fiend Club
Jul 16, 2002
Haysi, VA
Visit site
Does anyone here like System of A Down?
I for one think besides Mudvayne they are one of the best American Nu Metal bands out there. They aren't very talented but they have a great sound reminds me of Nirvana in so many ways but they are also a lot different than Nirvana. Well anyways thoughts on this band.

i like them alot. they are original and innovative. and they got big with talent. i'm really suprised they blew up the way they did. when they first came out they werent radio material, and that meaning not the normal sound.
they are one of the few "nu" bands i can get into.
~gR~

Soad and Mudvayne are 2 examples of good numetal.

Both kick quite a bit of ass.

They are slightly original, but still have enough trendyness to be popular... kinda cool for that to happen...

Originally posted by metalheadtimmy
i really enjoy their music also, a very unique sound, in my opinion, saw them live with slipknot and rammstein on the pledge of allegiance tour, the concert was amazing
:err: *shurgs*

SoaD, yes I was blasting Sugar every chance I got. I agree that they weren't radio material when they first came out, I really didn't think they were going to be radio material with Toxicity either, but I guess I was wrong. Toxicity is a well thought out abulm, with a very nice sound that keeps listeners listening.

And as for Mudvayne, yeah, they're pretty good for nu-metal. I remember my friend blasting Death Blooms every chance he got, that's how I got to know Mudvayne a little better.

Anyway, just two examples of how there can be bands that you enjoy listening to in any genre, even in the dreaded nu-metal.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am
I for one think besides Mudvayne they are one of the best American Nu Metal bands out there. They aren't very talented but they have a great sound reminds me of Nirvana in so many ways but they are also a lot different than Nirvana. Well anyways thoughts on this band.

SOAD are great, it took a couple of spins before I really appreciated. Great! Back up singers suck tho. I wouldn't really consider SOAD nu-metal, they are kinda on their own. How do they remind you of Nirvana? I don't get it.

Originally posted by Weapon X
SOAD are great, it took a couple of spins before I really appreciated. Great! Back up singers suck tho. I wouldn't really consider SOAD nu-metal, they are kinda on their own. How do they remind you of Nirvana? I don't get it.

Not a sound like Nirvana just their style and the way they carry themselves although both Nirvana and S.O.A.D. have punk influences.

Originally posted by Soilworker
Soad and Mudvayne are 2 examples of good numetal.

Both kick quite a bit of ass.

They are slightly original, but still have enough trendyness to be popular... kinda cool for that to happen...

i agree. SOAD and Mudvayne are both damn good

can't wait for teh new Mudvayne, and the new rarities CD from SOAD.

and i like the Deftones a little bit, too.mainly the album Around the Fur

Mudvayne The songs I heard I don't like in any way. With that said, like it means much. ;)

Deftones liked Around the Fur as well. The only reason why I brought it was because I saw them live with Pantera & White Zombie. They were virtually unknown at that time, but damn they were pretty good live.

i like some "nu" metal. Esp the bands ppl have said SOAD were very good at this years ozzfest, and Mudvayne were good at last years too. Deftones i've always liked for 1 reason or another. i agree with the comments about the slight orginial and slightly commercial radio.

Originally posted by Southern Man I Am

You sound a bit confused there buddy.SOAD sound NOTHING like Nirvana.They ARE talented and Mudcrack suck ass.

I've seen System Of A Down three times now, twice in Manchester and also at Donington Ozzfest 2002. So yeah, i quite like them!

I've had the Mudvayne album on Minidisc since it came out...never got round to buying it but i think i will if i see it for a decent price anywhere...

Yeah, I'm a fan. Seen them live a few times,and liked it, although I'd have to say that I likely wont go out of my way to see them again, unless it was at a show I was gonna already go see. Kinda 'that been there, done that' thing.

I was flat out shocked with the quality of the Toxicity record though. I liked the first one a lot, but figured they'd be plagued with the sophmore jinx like so many other bands that get successful early on (especially after touring soooo long for that first one). But man, its a lot more melodic AND nutty at the same time!! And the production is crushing!! Dont care for the bass tone all that much, but at least its not flat out annoying like say, DD Verni's or something (sorry, couldnt get me to like Overkill even if I had the choice of liking them or fucking Rosie O'Donnell or something!! Wait, bad choice. Strike that.), but its tolerable. IMHO anyways.

So, I like it. Its unique, quirky, heavy, groovy, and flat out weird. Neat stuff. More power to 'em.