S/T remix Spotted!!!

2 band members getting married, having babies, buying a house, moving, writing songs, pre-production for new album, paying bills. Sometimes doing a tour has to get put on the back burner to get other stuff out of the way.
Sometimes life happens ....

Nothing personal Justin (who I assume is the one working on this as he works at Touchwood), but I'm just not feeling the remix. The added echo and reverb on the vocals, the added effects to the keyboard track, just don't seem right. I do like the fact that you made the vocals more predominant, though at times it does actually drown out the instrumental work.

Looking at the Touchwood blog, it might not be too much longer until we see more of the remix
* Into Eternity Re-Mix Done!!! Waiting on the label ???

Wait They are rerecording the first album with stu? That sounds cool.

I don't believe so, if you listen to the remix of Holding Onto Emptiness on Touchwood's MySpace you will be able to tell that it is the original vocals. Though, I've said in the past, that I would love a dual disc release with a remix/remaster and a re-recording with the new lineup.

Nothing personal Justin (who I assume is the one working on this as he works at Touchwood), but I'm just not feeling the remix. The added echo and reverb on the vocals, the added effects to the keyboard track, just don't seem right. I do like the fact that you made the vocals more predominant, though at times it does actually drown out the instrumental work.

No offense taken. Any mix is the product of the decisions you make at that time that you're doing it. The next day, chances are you would have done some stuff different. And for every one choice you have about how you want to do something... there's a billion ways you could go about it.

This remix has been worked on by a few previous engineers at the studio, with Grant, and the latest mix myself and Grant.

One thing I've learned is that at some point you have to just "settle". Not in a selling yourself short kind of way, but like I said about the endless possibilities with decisions, part of mixing and album is knowing when to quit, and when to be able to say "okay, this is now done". You can easily work on something forever.

Budget and time constraints can often force a person to settle with something, whether they feel it's done or not, but that's a whole other discussion. (an Incurable Tragedy thread maybe? haha...)

Personally, I'm very happy with what we've been able to do with these songs. To my preference, the vocals sound like a HUGE improvement over the original version and I think the reverb is killer.

In the end, you can't please everyone, and everyone hears music differently, so you just have to do what you feel is best. In the case of this recording, the original source had it's limitations - some stuff would be impossible to improve much more short of re-recording it. And despite rumors.... Don't expect that to happen any time soon. We are moving forward with great new riffs!!

After listening to the song about a dozen or so times now, it's really grown on me. Makes me want to hear the rest of the album :D