Sacred Oath - Darkness visible, the new album at last!

Metal79

Aug 5, 2006
The Netherlands
Some of you may remember Sacred Oath, the band that released the classic album A crystal vision back in 1987. Now, after 20 long years of absence, Rob Thorne and his crew are back, with an absolutely stunning new album. Darkness visible should appeal to anyone with a penchant for melodic and highly inventive US-metal leaning toward old Maiden/Mercyful Fate/Queensryche. Neither Rob's writing/arranging skills nor his high-pitched vocals have changed in two decades time - once again, the man delivers a brand of metal as traditional as you can possibly play it.

It's out on Denis Gulbey's label Sentinel Steel - hails to Denis for releasing this one and lending a new lease of life to A crystal vision!:headbang:

Killer tracks to whet your appetite: 'Prophecy', 'Words upon the stone' and 'Calm before the storm'.
They're on the bill for KIT IX this November, which is already sold out. Hopefully, we won't have to wait another 20 years for Sacred Oath, opus III.

www.myspace.com/sacredoath
www.sacredoath.net

I'd never heard of S.O. till I was browsing Sentinel preparing my last order. I bought 'Darkness Visible' just by their description & I thoroughly enjoy it. I'm listening to it again now & it really is amazing. Funny, I didn't even realize the vocals were high pitched till you mentioned it. He's got plenty of range and even the ultra high notes he does hit on occasion don't seem strained or agonizing.

I'd never heard of S.O. till I was browsing Sentinel preparing my last order. I bought 'Darkness Visible' just by their description & I thoroughly enjoy it. I'm listening to it again now & it really is amazing. Funny, I didn't even realize the vocals were high pitched till you mentioned it. He's got plenty of range and even the ultra high notes he does hit on occasion don't seem strained or agonizing.

The remark about Rob's vocals is so true. They are high-pitched, but never feel forced or squeaky. There's a talented singer for ya!
Do check out A crystal vision as well, as it is a classic, a bit more along the lines of Mercyful Fate's Don't break the oath-style.

The album's been in the player a number of times now and it doesn't let off, quality-wise.
If you listen to tracks like 'Calm before the storm', 'Battle cry', 'Queen of the night' or 'Prophecy' with headphones, the guitarwork comes across even better. Razor sharp riffing, solos well woven into the song structures, all those refined details popping up - you wonder why bands like Stratovarius sell so many albums when you listen to stuff like this new Sacred Oath album. Rob's vocals too are in another league altogether (just listen to 'Prophecy' or 'Queen of the night'!).

Hopefully, some people will pick up on this and order 'Darkness visible' from Sentinel Steel directly or from one of the mailorders. One of the top-notch albums for 2007 so far for me.

The album's been in the player a number of times now and it doesn't let off, quality-wise.
If you listen to tracks like 'Calm before the storm', 'Battle cry', 'Queen of the night' or 'Prophecy' with headphones, the guitarwork comes across even better. Razor sharp riffing, solos well woven into the song structures, all those refined details popping up - you wonder why bands like Stratovarius sell so many albums when you listen to stuff like this new Sacred Oath album. Rob's vocals too are in another league altogether (just listen to 'Prophecy' or 'Queen of the night'!).

Hopefully, some people will pick up on this and order 'Darkness visible' from Sentinel Steel directly or from one of the mailorders. One of the top-notch albums for 2007 so far for me.

Tomorrow I will be getting the promo so I can review it for Aardschok.
Stay tuned. :)

Yea, I have A Crystal Vision. Good stuff. I need to get the new one. I would also recommend Deadly Blessing for those who don't mind the upper to falsetto range with some interesting song arrangements in the speed/thrash area. Ascend from the Cauldron is a great album!

ack