Sad news day for us doom fans...........

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
THE HIDDEN HAND, the band featuring hard rock guitar legend Scott "Wino" Weinrich (ST. VITUS, THE OBSESSED, SPIRIT CARAVAN), has split up.

Commented Weinrich: "Without going into detail to embarrass anyone, this is a message to inform everyone THE HIDDEN HAND no longer exists. I cannot any longer tolerate being promised stuff that never happens or be accused of dishonesty. I think in my long and fruitful career I have always tried to be fair and honest, even going out of my way creatively and financially to make it happen including compromise. I have put an enormous burden on my family and myself to try and fulfill my dreams which have not been to enrich myself financially, but to enrich others as well as myself spiritually and emotionally. The music industry these days turns on the most mediocre crap, be it pop or cheesy black metal, which is really just sickening or laughable. So be it. I will still be wholeheartedly dedicated to the SHRINEBUILDER project with Chris and Al of OM and Scott from NEUROSIS. This will be a long way off but I KNOW these dudes are FOR REAL. SO all I will say now is thanks for believing. I'm sure some will assume I am some ego guy who's impossible to work with, nothing is farther from the truth. I just expect the same amount of fairness and respect I give. A tall call these days, unfortunately."

THE HIDDEN HAND's latest full-length release, "The Resurrection of Whiskey Foote", came out in February. The CD is the third THE HIDDEN HAND full-length (second from Southern Lord) and features the lineup that recorded the now sold-out/out-of-print "Devoid of Color" EP from last year: Scott "Wino" Weinrich (guitars, vocals), Bruce Falkinburg (bass) and Evan Tanner (drums).

"The Resurrection of Whiskey Foote" is not necessarily a concept album but it is heavily layered with historical story-based lyricism and themse. Musically there is a subtle southern or classic rock vibe (ala killer slide playing from Wino and even some harp by Michael Anthony Miller) that creeps into the foundation of their brand of dark, heavy, progressive rock.

Well, with DEBRIS INC on hold too, maybe we could organize a SAINT VITUS reunion for POWERFEST 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*rightnowRobandChrisaregoingFUCKNO!!* :lol:

I hope that Shrinebuilder project will be good.

Yeah, though members from OM and Neurosis doesn't sound too promising.
There are some bands / musicians that for some reason have never gotten their just respect. In my opinion, Wino is one of them.
I guess its because it has never been cool or hip to be into Saint Vitus, the Obsessed, etc.

I think Wino is known, but his band's have very niche audiences.
I mean, none of his bands were ever on major package tours, nor have they appealed to the masses.

Lots of bands that play traditional doom metal are in that boat.

Hell, I never even heard of the Gates of Slumber until they got booked on Alehorn of Power last year.

It's cool, I mean it certainly isn't commercially accessible metal.
Just a shame though that the underground metal scene hardly recognizes trad doom bands.

Yeah, though members from OM and Neurosis doesn't sound too promising.
There are some bands / musicians that for some reason have never gotten their just respect. In my opinion, Wino is one of them.
I guess its because it has never been cool or hip to be into Saint Vitus, the Obsessed, etc.

Whats wrong with the members of OM? They're both from Sleep which is one of the best stoner doom bands ever :p

yeah....it would be so empty.

I dunno. It is so hard to say actually.
I mean, Vitus are one of those bands like Manilla Road.
Based on internet hype, they should be packing them in like crazy.
Though in reality, they don't draw up to the hype.

As I said, there is no "hipster" factor to liking a cult type band.

This isn't terrible news, this is the greatest news I've heard in a LONG, long time. Sure, it's sad to see THH go... But I'm sure we all know Wino will still produce amazing music no matter where he's at, right?

What's better is he's now with AL CISNEROS (Turns music to gold) and CHRIS HAKIUS (Turns music to gold), and some guy from Neurosis (Gold music) who I can't admit to being amazingly familiar with.

Basically, let's do an equation here.

THE HIDDEN HAND = WINO (turns music into gold) + Some other guy + who gives a shit

MUSIC SCENE - THE HIDDEN HAND = Waah waah waah

MUSIC SCENE - THE HIDDEN HAND + SHRINEBUILDER = Wino (Turns music into gold) + Al Cisneros (Turns music into gold) + Chris Hakius (Turns music into gold) + The guy from Neurosis (Makes gold music)

In conclusion?

SHRINEBUILDER = Will melt faces.
Let's also consider it seems like Wino was not happy with the Hidden Hand situation, and will now be more free since it is gone. This means MORE EXCELLENT MUSIC!

I just kinda hope they don't sign to Southern Lord because it sounds like they had some problems there.