Sad news for us CANDLEMASS fans....

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
CANDLEMASS vocalist Messiah Marcolin contacted BLABBERMOUTH.NET today (April 28) to reveal that he has left the Swedish doomsters and that it's 100 percent definite that he will not return. "We could not agree on how to do the new album," he said, but would not further elaborate on his sudden departure.

Marcolin spent the early months of 2006 recovering from an infection of the vocal cords and was ordered by his doctor to wait until this summer before resuming singing.

CANDLEMASS recorded four new songs with producer Andy Sneap (NEVERMORE, ARCH ENEMY, MACHINE HEAD) in late February at the new Polar studios in Stockholm, Sweden. At the time, the group's bassist/songwriter Leif Edling said of the material, "The songs are pretty much in the same vein as the stuff on the [self-titled 2005] reunion album, maybe a bit darker."

CANDLEMASS won a Swedish "Grammy" award in February in the "Best Hard Rock" category, beating out the likes of HAMMERFALL, HARDCORE SUPERSTAR, MESHUGGAH and OPETH. The Swedish doom legends were honored for the "Candlemass" opus, which is available on Nuclear Blast Records. Five back-catalog items from the band — "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Ancient Dreams", "Doomed for Live", "Nightfall", and "Essential Doom" — were issued in the U.S. via Candlelight in February.

Yeah there's a band that just has some neverending internal issues. Messiah has quit that band like seventy times now, it seems like. I really liked the last Candlemass album. A new album that is "pretty much in the same vein as the stuff on the reunion album, maybe a bit darker", sounds pretty good to me. I wonder what kind of disagreements they were having on "how to do" the new album, hmm....

Their self titled reunion album was one of my top 10 albums for last year. I was really hoping they would have eventually done a full US tour. Well, even the non-Messiah albums are enjoyable.

I missed the boat on these guys back in the day when they first came out. I had a good friend who was into them from the beginning and has seen them at the Thirsty Whale many moons ago.

With Messiah being back, I was hoping I would have had that opportunity as well......

Still looking forward to new material

There was talk of them possibly touring here, but again, bands like that have such a hard time touring here because they can't find promoters and venues willing to book them for a fee that would make it financially possible. Candlemass were never a huge crowd-drawing band here in the States even back on their first tours, and though people like you and I think it would be a worthy tour to happen here, convincing the tour promoters is another story. So I don't know if we would ever really see a Candlemass tour here or not, with or without Messiah.

Should've made the trip to Cleveland a couple years back when they played the BW&BK fest, I missed it as well. I think Trouble played that show too!

Larry -
I am upset with myself for missing all the BWBK fests.
Some awesome bands have played there: Katatonia, Trouble, Candlemass, Grave Digger, Primal Fear, Jag Panzer, etc.

Good mix of metal for people like me who are into power, traditional, doom, etc....

i thought the last album was a bit cheesy, but still good. i don't know "the black dwarfffff" ? seems to me like they were reaching anyway. you will never see anything as awesome as epicus, nightfall and tales of creation.
shitty news!!!!!! bummer