Sanctuary makes big move?

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
I found this interesting, given the reputation that Sanctuary Records has had for signing what people call "burn outs" or bands that were a thing of the past... This from Melodicrock.com:
A&R LEGEND JOHN KALODNER JOINS SANCTUARY RECORDS GROUP:
Yesterday I spoke of some big news brewing in the world of record labels and their personnel. Well, today the details.
A&R guru John Kalodner has quit Sony Music and has taken up a new position as Senior Vice President of the Sanctuary Records Group.
John has worked for 3 labels over nearly 30 years - Atlantic, Geffen, Sony and now moves to a 4th, Sanctuary.
Here's the official press release - with more details from me below that:

Sanctuary Records Group is pleased to announce John Kalodner will be joining the staff as Senior Vice President, A&R. John leaves his post as Columbia's Senior VP of A&R effective September 15, 2003.
Merck Mercuriadis, CEO Sanctuary Records Group stated, “John and I have worked together for close to 20 years and he is arguably the greatest rock A & R man of our time. His expertise and deep relationships with artists, producers, writers, and managers will make him an incredible resource for all of our artists and managers across the entire Sanctuary Group of companies."
John Kalodner says, “It's a pleasure to work with my long time friend Merck Mercuriadis, and join a company formed by Rod Smallwood and Andy Taylor that is the model for music companies of the future. It's an honor to join all the great record executives, managers and producers that Merck, Rod and Andy have had the foresight to hire and nurture in this exciting company.”
Kalodner's illustrious career includes guiding the likes of Foreigner, Cher, Sammy Hagar, Berlin, Whitesnake, Journey and Aerosmith to the top of the record charts. He has most recently worked on Bon Jovi's Bounce and Iron Maiden's Dance of Death, as well as put together the upcoming Journey DVD with original member Steve Perry.
Home to recording artists such as Kiss, Morrissey, The Libertines, Ween and Spiritualized among others, Sanctuary Records Group is part of the Sanctuary Group, one of the world's leading developers of intellectual property rights in the fields of music, television and entertainment and the owner of the world's largest independently owned catalogue of music and visual rights. With an ever-growing recorded music repertoire of over 150,000 tracks, Sanctuary has distribution in all of the world's major territories. Sanctuary is also a major international artist management company, representing artists such as Guns N' Roses, Jane's Addiction, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Iron Maiden, Cave In, and Overseer, as well as 30 of the world's top music producers.

Now, this press release really doesn't spell out what an influential figure John Kalodner has been in the rock music community. His first signing at Atlantic Records was a young band called Foreigner. At Geffen Records he was directly involved in the recording careers of Cher, Asia, Thunder, Nelson, Tyketto and Jackly, to name a few. While at Geffen, John signed Sammy Hagar from Capitol Records and then helped the future Van Halen frontman to record his best albums - Standing Hampton, 3 Lock Box, VOA and I Never Said Goodbye. He was instrumental in the success of Whitesnake through their mega-era of 1987 and Slip Of The Tongue. He also pulled Aerosmith out of their ruins and saw them through their most successful career period of Permanent Vacation, Pump and Get A Grip.
And if that wasn't enough, add working with Coverdale/Page, Blue Murder, Damn Yankees and Bon Jovi to his credits.
At Sony he worked with new albums from Dokken, Night Ranger, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Aerosmith, Ratt, Great White, Mars Electric, Neve and Iron Maiden.
And it would be remiss of me if I didn't mention one of John's biggest triumph's - bringing Steve Perry back to Journey for the Trial By Fire album. Sadly that didn't last, but John continues to work with Journey for their Arrival album and is currently continuing to work with the band on their archive DVD releases.

So what does this mean for the melodic rock world? Well, only time will tell, but the news excites me.
Sanctuary Records now have one of the biggest rosters of rock artists. John could certainly do a lot of good working with these artists and then there is the opportunity for new artists to be signed to the label and hopefully developed without the restraints placed upon him at Sony.
Sammy Hagar is a new Sanctuary artist. He is currently weighing up options for what to do next. Journey are without a label for a possible future release. Dokken are with CMC International - a division of Sanctuary. They are currently in the studio. Styx are another CMC artist that could benefit from John's input.
Kiss are now a Sanctuary artist! Simmons Records is alive again under the Sanctuary banner. Queensryche, Halford and Bruce Dickinson are other artists at the label.
Could Kalodner and Sanctuary be the catalyst to getting the stalled Planet Us project under way?
Could Sanctuary be the new home for Ozzy Osbourne? Or a reformed Judas Priest?
Just as the launch of Kalodner's pet project Portrait Records caused a major stir, so will his move to Sanctuary. One hopes he can start some positive new projects and re-launch some old ones as was done with Portrait, but with a less restrictions that Portrait owner, Sony Japan placed upon him.