Sands of Time

That's a very, very good question... and we've been asked about this songs lyrics probably more than any other. :Spin:

Our former guitarist, Ryan Taylor, wrote the lyrics and music to this one, Ironicly it's the last song he wrote while in the band. We really dug the tune and put it on "A New Breed...." rather than put it on the shelf, even though he left the band just before going in to recording this album. Musiclly, it drives real hard, and at the time, we felt it was the stronger of the 9 tracks so it had to be the first tune on the disc.

To be perfectly honest, I really don't know what his motivation or inspiration was on this song lyricly. I think he would be the only one that could answer that one. He wasn't affiliated with any religious faith per say, and he has always had a facination with appocalyptic scenerios weather it be by nature, the hand of God, or an alien force. It was just his style among other things.

Like I mentioned, we have been approached with this question before regarding the point behind this song. If I had to describe it in my own words i'd say it's a generic-yet -descriptive tale of what it might be like through the eyes of a supposed sinner if there indeed was a 2nd coming of Christ, kind of like Savatage's song, "Devastation", off of their Hall of the mountain King album. In fact, now that I think about it, that was one of Ryan's all-time favorite Savatage tunes... for all we know, "Sands of time" was probably his way of paying homage to Savatage. :p

Regardless, it's one of our favorites to open with live. :D

\m/
Dustin

Dustin said:
If I had to describe it in my own words i'd say it's a generic-yet -descriptive tale of what it might be like through the eyes of a supposed sinner if there indeed was a 2nd coming of Christ

That was my take on it as well, and now I understand why it doesn't fit with anything else on the album. We're all sinners whether we wish to admit it or not; it's simply a matter of whether we've submitted our lives to Christ before earthly death (or His 2nd coming) or not.

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll go ahead and play it on my show Sunday since Deron sent it to me and it sort of fits my format.

Peace