Sarpanitum - Despoilment of Origin

Sarpanitum – Despoilment of Origin
Galactic – GR001CD – February 26, 2007
By Oliver Holm

despoilmentoforigin.jpg

UK death metal has never been institutional nor documented-in-metal-nomenclature on a worldwide scale. Just the fact that there is but that one overall and all-inclusive term to it evidences that the otherwise historic nation of rock’n’metal somewhat lacks a bit of ‘smack’ in relation to this extreme-music subdivision. Meanwhile, most fans and critics never hesitate to throw around location markers like Florida or Gothenburg to describe or allude to a certain DM-brand, and most fans and critics understand the musical reference of these situational classifications, as it were, without a flicker of hesitation either.

So, besides the laudable oeuvres of veteran UK-outfits like Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Benediction as well as the earliest works of My Dying Bride, Anathema and Paradise Lost, is there as much as one distinctive, inimitable trait to death metal anno 2007, as cultivated and exercised in the same homeland that has fostered Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Venom and other such eminent luminaries? Truth is that the UK is on an extreme-metal rise and boasts a beefier, burlier scene than ever. Sarpanitum is the latest ensemble to enter the international arena with the intent to inscribe their moniker in the annals of extreme-metal, and their thunderous debut album Despoilment of Origin is a notable manifestation of the creative talents that boil underneath the exterior of this four-man unit.

With the brutal vehemence of Nile and the sinister heaviness of Immolation as well as an ambient, melodic tincture of their own, Sarpanitum deliver world-class brutal death metal stuffed with extensive bomb-blast salvos, ‘heroic’ few-note leads and stentorian, über-hoarse vocals. Fifth track on the album, the acoustic two-minute interlude entitled ‘Dusk Over Assyria, constitutes a well-timed, if somewhat clichéd breather in between the insistent assault of frenzied tremolo riffs, double-bass violence and intermittent moodier, more narrative sections. If this is indeed meant as a tribute to ancient cultures and civilisations, then it evokes the vision of a crazed Aztec hierarch as he tears out the still-beating heart of an ill-fated human sacrifice chained to a blood-clotted stone altar. That, and warfare.

For a debut release Despoilment of Origin is a commendable effort that leaves little to be desired in terms of sheer musical skill and flair. Needless to mention, these four lads have still to shake off the much-too obvious traces of the aforementioned influences in order to take their own sound to the next level. I trust, however, that the band will indeed achieve that on their next album, and as for now Sarpanitum remains the freshest contribution thus far in 2007 to the inevitable ascension and realisation of UK death metal.

Official Sarpanitum Website
Official Galactic Records Website

:headbang:

I picked their album up a few weeks ago. I thought it was fantastic, especially for a debut. People have drawn comparisons with Nile when reviewing the album but I think Sarpanitum use the eastern influence much more effectively instead of bombarding the listener with over the top, film score-like melodies and orchestrations. I’d love to see them live, apparently they’re pretty punishing on stage.

Great album, my only problem is with the drum machine. It's not at all bad considering, but there's a lot of repitition and it's a bit far too active that it sounds too 'inhuman' at times.

Great album, my only problem is with the drum machine. It's not at all bad considering, but there's a lot of repitition and it's a bit far too active that it sounds too 'inhuman' at times.

Hey,

They released a demo by the same name (Despoilment of Origin) a few years back. The review is for the full length which came out earlier this year. It has a human drummer on it.

Hi, just to clarify, Sarpanitum self-released the "Despoilment of Origin" demo in 2005. The full length album was released in 2007 through Galactic Records. The demo was recorded with a drum machine and the full length was recorded with a human drummer, Sean Broster (ex-mithras).

I've only listened to the new album, not the demo...They used a human drummer on the new album? To me it sounds like a machine but maybe it just the repetition, sound, production values...