Satanic Sales Tactics

DBB

Dec 20, 2005
ROADRUNNER PROMO STUMBLES WITH TRUMPED-UP CONTROVERSY

HO-HUM: Some marketers are always looking for new and exciting ways to sell records, and some resort to the same tired methods, which unfortunately sometimes means attacking music retailers to gain the attention of the music press and the music-buying public. Case in point: Roadrunner Records' promotion of Deicide's new album, ''Once Upon The Cross.''

The marketing of this record comes under the category ''controversy sells.'' Retail Track readers are familiar with this strategy, i.e., the Black Crowes (Billboard, Dec. 10, 1994). But for those of you who haven't seen this drama before, it goes something like this: Act 1, release album, with controversial artwork prominently displayed; Act 2, when no one notices, issue press release claiming controversy; Act 3, make sure press release implies that music retailers those nefarious crusaders against the First Amendment are refusing to carry the controversial album cover.

In this instance, the artwork in question depicts ''a Christ-like figure covered in a white sheet with blood seeping through where the figure's hands, feet and mid-section are,'' according to a description provided courtesy of a Roadrunner press release. The package also contains ''an illustration depicting Jesus Christ on an autopsy table.''

So let's see how Roadrunner played its hand.

According to the press release headline, the album cover is causing controversy at retail outlets, although the copy never actually states what the controversy is. A call to Roadrunner spokeswoman Sophie Diamantis reveals that not one retail chain has actually refused to carry the album. The problem, as Roadrunner sees it, is that while all retailers carry the album, many choose to carry a version of the album where most of the front cover is obscured by a warning sticker.

Of course, the release downplays the fact that the label gave retailers a choice of two album packages. It also ignores that whatever version is displayed in-store, once buyers get home and remove the shrink wrap, they all get the same album cover in all its controversial glory.

The press release also states the album cover artwork is ''no shock-value gimmick.'' Yeah, right. The album was released April 18 two days after Easter. Coincidence? I think not.

My favorite part of the press release is a quote from Deicide front man Glen Benton, described as an ''avowed Satanist,'' who says, ''I feel that I am the closest thing to Lucifer on this planet, and I feel like that all the time.'' My advice to Benton is to have some chicken soup, take two aspirin, and lie down with a cold rag on your forehead; you'll feel better in the morning.

Snore.

Billboard May 13, 1995

DBB said:
The problem, as Roadrunner sees it, is that while all retailers carry the album, many choose to carry a version of the album where most of the front cover is obscured by a warning sticker.

Let's see if I can remember this correctly.

The cover artist, Trevor Brown, did an interview with Descent magazine and said the cover was originally going to be the piece that is inside- no sheet.

... when Roadrunner saw it, they flipped out. So somebody (Roadrunner, Deicide, Trevor?) came up with the idea of doing the sheet thing for the cover instead.

And yeah, the thing did have a giant sticker on the front of it in stores.

Once Upon the Cross was years after Butchered at Birth and Tomb of the Mutilated and much tamer... but it did have Jesus so who knows if sensitive people really did notice and get pissy. (is there anything in the archives about Metal Blade having problems with those 'Corpse covers beyond releasing 'retail safe' censored versions?)

I thought the album was boring and sad and a far lesser album than Legion. Interviews at the time had Glenn Benton claiming that fans couldn't figure out what was going on in Legion so they simplified it.

I've always maintained that was just an excuse for the band to not have to bother playing halfway complex material on stage, but when looking at the 'grand success' bands like Atheist and Cynic were enjoying between 92-95, maybe there was a real commercial reason to dumb down as well.

Jim LotFP said:
is there anything in the archives about Metal Blade having problems with those 'Corpse covers beyond releasing 'retail safe' censored versions?
Nope. Just a spate of articles from around the time when Bob Dole lashed out at Cannibal Corpse, Geto Boys and 2 Live Crew and some news about the band appearing on A Current Affair and in Ace Ventura

But whenever Chris Barnes opens his mouth it can be happy, fun goodtimes all-around.

I just write what's on my mind. I think of a cool story to write about, something that's just bone-chilling. A lot of things I write about frighten me. I'm very serious with the lyrics that I write, I treat it as an author would treat a short story or book that he's writing. When I write the stuff, it tends to arouse me sexually.

DBB said:
Funny. I was just thinking of this old article this morning and then this pops up as "news."

At least the band doesn't seem to be backing down.

Why do people make a fuss over anti-religious imagery offending religious people? It's not like the religious folks are saying why they think the imagery incorrectly or unfairly represents them or their object of worship. They just basically stomp and yell "CHANGE IT! BAN IT! NO DISSENTING IDEAS BEFORE THE PUBLIC!"

NEWSFLASH: People being criticized don't like it.

"Extremist track"... what the diddly fuckin doo is that supposed to mean? They call(ed?) their fanclub the Slaytanic Wehrmacht and sing about Nazis. No matter what the lyrics are for Jihad, it's just Slayer being Slayer.

Not that I'll be buying this album (although I did buy Hell Awaits yesterday and will be getting Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Season in the Abyss again by the end of the year... on a thrash binge, appreciating it for the first time ever and kicking myself in the face for getting rid of all these albums all those years back.. I just did a Slayer penis-wave, didn't I) but it feels good to have a major label releasing something so subversive. There's hope for the world.