circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Satyricon – Now, Diabolical
Century Media Records – 8320-2 – June 13, 2006
By Jason Jordan

satyricon.gif

Whether one likes it or not, the diabolical duo collectively known as Satyricon are getting big. With Century Media and Roadrunner Records sharing joint custody of Now, Diabolical and said band gracing covers of well-known magazines such as Terrorizer, recent developments lend more ammo to those who have and will continue to bemoan everything Satyr’s done since 1999’s Rebel Extravaganza. The good news is that Now, Diabolical isn’t bad. It’s not great, either, but it’s not bad.

Naturally, the latest full-length from the Norwegians doesn’t veer too far from the 2002 effort Volcano. As icy and cold as this particular record is, there’s something indescribably compelling about it. Whereas a large portion of black metal is not immediately accessible – often relying on drawn-out passages to induce trances, or conversely blastbeating the listener to death – Now, Diabolical contains an unbelievable amount of groove, which begs the listener to move in some way, any way. The opening number and title track is a prime example, as well as the first single/video “K.I.N.G.” “To the Mountains” is another notable track due to the epic qualities spawned by introductory, galloping double-bass and horns galore. Furthermore, bonus add-on “Storm (of the Destroyer)” ends the album on a fierce, fast note, and the all-around tempo variation is a nice touch. Still, despite the caustic vocal performance of frontman Satyr and the spectacular drumming of Frost (1349, Gehenna, ex-Gorgoroth), 50 minutes of present-day Satyricon eventually becomes tedious, leaving one no choice but to lose interest until the last couple songs regain control of wavering attention spans. What’s baffling, though, is the production of Now, Diabolical feels inadequate. There is a sharp, razor-like aura surrounding the disc itself, yet the production manages to sound flat and weak.

In the case of Satyricon’s sixth outing, the appeal lies in the songwriting and instrumentation only, rather than the auxiliary elements – no matter how crucial they appear to be. I doubt anybody expected this to resemble their purported masterpiece Dark Medieval Times or worthy follow-up The Shadowthrone, but contrary to many other second-wave groups that have faded away into obscurity, broken up, or reunited with no promise of future studio releases, the deadly combination of Satyr and Frost continues to halfway impress.

7/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Satyricon Website
Official Century Media Records Website

This album could have been a solid release... if it wasn't so repetative. Each song seems to be drawn out (even if they arn't too long) and seems to have the same riff repeated over and over. Almost like a drone black metal album. Strange! I loved Dark Medieval Times it is a masterpiece. But it seems that each album drifts so much farther away that it almost seems like a completely different band now.

I still enjoy it but I can't sit through the entire album. Too much of the same thing.

The songwriting is just really bad on this album. It's only black metal element would be the vocals, otherwise it's more of a really tight too polished punk rock album. It's hard to say if satyricon is trying to appeal to a wider audience or not (it definetly has it's share of catchy tunes.) When they had really changed their sound on Rebel Extravaganza, the mixture of slayer,voivod with a healthy dose of grindcore was far more sick and twisted than the simplistic streamlined, sort of lifeless riffs that is now Diabolical...I hope they get a clue and get a bit more creative.

Well they only have two people. that may be a reason they're songs arent as well written. I like 'King' for some reason, but everything else was just 'meh'.