SAXON in Chicago!

Excellent news for you Jasonic. 7th November is when I'm seeing Motorhead + Girlschool, I was hoping Saxon might be appearing with them like they did in London, but I guess not if they're in Chicago. Enjoy, they'll be totally awesome!!!!

princess_of_the_night2112 said:
Excellent news for you Jasonic. 7th November is when I'm seeing Motorhead + Girlschool, I was hoping Saxon might be appearing with them like they did in London, but I guess not if they're in Chicago. Enjoy, they'll be totally awesome!!!!

Thanks. I am very excited.
Last time SAXON came to Chicago, it was VERY poorly advertised.
I didn't even know about it until after it happened.
I heard only 35 people literally were in attendance.
It is awful when things like that happen to bands, esp when they travel overseas.

Have fun at Motorhead. I saw them in March. Still kickin ass as usual! PLus playing a lot of stuff they haven't played in years.

Jasonic said:
Last time SAXON came to Chicago, it was VERY poorly advertised.
I didn't even know about it until after it happened.
I heard only 35 people literally were in attendance.
It is awful when things like that happen to bands, esp when they travel overseas.

Its such a shame when great bands get that kind of promotion! Even with only 35 in attendance im sure they still rocked like a bastard and put on a great gig! Id love to see a show like that with only a few ppl, be quite cool and more personal !

Excellent news, Jasonic. Spread the word and have a great time!
The best thing of all is that this means Saxon are going to do a number of US gigs - something which has been requested for some time on the forum!

Although I agree with Valanx - a small audience would provide a great experience - I really hope the promoters do their job properly and the Stateside gigs are sold out!

That was the same thing that happened when Saxon played at King Tuts last October there. I didn't see any advertising at all, the only reason I found out was the night of the Rush 30th concert and we'd just left the pub to go to the SEcc and one of my friends asked me if I wanted to go and see Saxon in 2 weeks time. I was shocked cos I didn't know they were playing. And when he told me it was in King Tuts, I thought it was a wind-up. Cos I was like that, what Saxon are playing in that wee pub up the road!!!!!! However, like I've said before, they were totally sensational, they could have played somewhere like Barrowlands and probably sold it out, but it was so superior seeing them in such a small venue.

Seeing Saxon at that one bar I mentioned would have been cool.
I saw Manowar there once, and it was amazing.
This is at the House of Blues, which is a rather large club venue.
It holds 1500 maybe?
It is on a Monday, so realistically it will be poorly attended.

i'm SOOOOOOOOOO There!! \m/

According to the web site of the B.B. King's Blues Club in New York City, British heavy metal legends SAXON are scheduled to perform at the venue on Tuesday November 1, 2005. Two days later, on Thursday November 3, 2005, SAXON are scheduled to play the Jaxx nightclub in West Springfield, Virginia. Support at the Jaxx show will come from long-running American metallers BLACK WIDOW.

SAXON were originally slated to embark on a U.S. tour in May but ended up cancelling the dates as a result of frontman Biff Byford wanting to stay by his family's side after suffering a major loss in February when his house in the Normandie area of France burned down. In that incident, Biff, his wife and their children got out of the house at the very last minute and nobody was hurt.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]__________________[/font]

I'll be picking up my ticket next week for the Chicago show and am thrilled that Saxon are playing here again.
I saw them wayyyyyyyy back when @ the Aragon Ballroom (Fri May 11th, 1984 - still have the stub) w/ Motley Crue and Heavy Pettin. Biff and the boys were great and the new album is just incredible! :worship:
I will be there with many a friend (www.myspace.com/thunderdriver), and am just throwing up what I would consider to be my ultimate set list just in case anyone is looking at this! :Spin:
I can already see the band storm onstage and kick into Witchfinder General, and then blast into Man and Machine from the new album. I'm sure that Biff will all welcome us by asking who has come here to hear some Heavy Metal Thunder! It will be a great night to be sure of!

Dream Set List:
Witchfinder General
Man and Machine
Heavy Metal Thunder
Strong Arm of the Law
the Return
Lion Heart
Terminal Velocity
Motorcycle Man
Dallas 1pm
This Town Rocks
Broken Hero
Princess of the Night
Jack Tars
Man O War
Solid Ball of Rock
Flying On the Edge
Denim and Leather
Wheels of Steel

Encore: Power and the Glory
Crusader
Encore 2: Eagle Has Landed

A word of caution about Chicago. There is a local disc jockey here (Mancow) who has been bashing Denim and Leather as the worst song ever written in rock history. I have heard him say this on the air. I know that he also wants to try and get the band into the studio for what I can only think to be a bunch of Gen Y sarcastic bullshit. Please know that the people of Chicago do not like this guy. He's a Howard Stern wanna be, and people hate the fact that he's on the air here in Chicago.
The only real metal station in this area is a tiny one known as Rebel Radio. :headbang:

Abbath75 said:
I saw them wayyyyyyyy back @ the Aragon Ballroom with Motley Crue and Heavy Pettin.

That's great you're getting to see Saxon again Abbath. I saw them in October last year, that was my 3rd time seeing them, and they were nothing short of mindblowing. You will have a blast. At Glasgow anyway, the started off with 3 songs from Lionheart but it will probably be different in Chicago. I canny wait to see them again on 19th October through in Edinburgh, its gonna rock bigtime.

Anyway its funny you should mention Heavy Pettin, I was only talking to a friend about them less than 2 hours ago!!! I saw them quite a few times in a wee pub called the Burns Howff in Glasgow, they were brilliant. Sometimes there were as little as 30 people there watching them. I still sometimes hear In and Out of Love the single being played on planetrock radio which is cool.

That is awesome you saw them at the Aragon! I would love to know all the times Saxon has played chicago (venue/support bands, etc). If you know, please post.

Anyway its funny you should mention Heavy Pettin, I was only talking to a friend about them less than 2 hours ago!!! I saw them quite a few times in a wee pub called the Burns Howff in Glasgow, they were brilliant. Sometimes there were as little as 30 people there watching them. I still sometimes hear In and Out of Love the single being played on planetrock radio which is cool.

I have a song on tape somewhere by Heavy Pettin, think it is called 'Love Times Love'. It is pretty good, but that is the only song I've heard by them.

That is a pretty good setlist Abbath75!

Paxoman said:
'Love Times Love'. It is pretty good, but that is the only song I've heard by them.

Yes that's a great song Paxo - it's on their Lettin Loose album, which is a cracker. They were an excellent band and then they sort of went downhill rapidly.

Talking of NWOBHM bands, I heard a few hours ago that a classic NWOBHM is getting ready to reform - woohooo - a band I saw about 3 times before and they rocked hard and fast. And I was only just listening to their album this morning - coincidence or what!!!!! I will put it on another thread, don't want to hijack the Chicaco thread!!!!!!!

Yes that's a great song Paxo - it's on their Lettin Loose album, which is a cracker. They were an excellent band and then they sort of went downhill rapidly.

Talking of NWOBHM bands, I heard a few hours ago that a classic NWOBHM is getting ready to reform - woohooo - a band I saw about 3 times before and they rocked hard and fast. And I was only just listening to their album this morning - coincidence or what!!!!! I will put it on another thread, don't want to hijack the Chicaco thread!!!!!!!

Yeah, well you seem to have a knack of mentioning NWOBHM or diamond head in every post you make as it is! lol

any word on a saxon show in st. louis. i saw them in chicago on the unleash the beast tour and the house of blues was packed. they also played a bar in lansing called jj kelleys the following night. i hope they do that again, i will stay in chicago 2 nights and go to both shows.

I was wondering about those "35 people." The House of Blues show had a good crowd, and you must be referring to the JJ Kelleys show. I think both of them were weekdays and the venues aren't THAT far apart. I was also at the Aragon for Crue/Saxon/Heavy Pettin!

Other Saxon gigs I have been at:

Feb 27, 1986 Cabaret Metro
April 1, 1998 House of Blues
Nov 6, 2000 House of Blues

Also, Saxon played something called "ChicagoFest" back in the 80's. It was a precursor to the stupid "Taste of Chicago." The band actually played inside Soldier Field--between the football field and the original outside wall. They made the stadium smaller, and cut off a section of the building. That's where the stage was. Anyway, a fierce thunderstorm was rolling in. The two opening bands got cut short, and they hurried Saxon onstage, where they kicked ass. I think they got the whole show in before the rain came, but it was wild seeing Saxon playing outside with lightning creating its own stage show!

Abbath75 said:
I'll be picking up my ticket next week for the Chicago show and am thrilled that Saxon are playing here again.
I saw them wayyyyyyyy back when @ the Aragon Ballroom (Fri May 11th, 1984 - still have the stub) w/ Motley Crue and Heavy Pettin. Biff and the boys were great and the new album is just incredible! :worship:
I will be there with many a friend (www.myspace.com/thunderdriver), and am just throwing up what I would consider to be my ultimate set list just in case anyone is looking at this! :Spin:
I can already see the band storm onstage and kick into Witchfinder General, and then blast into Man and Machine from the new album. I'm sure that Biff will all welcome us by asking who has come here to hear some Heavy Metal Thunder! It will be a great night to be sure of!

Dream Set List:
Witchfinder General
Man and Machine
Heavy Metal Thunder
Strong Arm of the Law
the Return
Lion Heart
Terminal Velocity
Motorcycle Man
Dallas 1pm
This Town Rocks
Broken Hero
Princess of the Night
Jack Tars
Man O War
Solid Ball of Rock
Flying On the Edge
Denim and Leather
Wheels of Steel

Encore: Power and the Glory
Crusader
Encore 2: Eagle Has Landed

A word of caution about Chicago. There is a local disc jockey here (Mancow) who has been bashing Denim and Leather as the worst song ever written in rock history. I have heard him say this on the air. I know that he also wants to try and get the band into the studio for what I can only think to be a bunch of Gen Y sarcastic bullshit. Please know that the people of Chicago do not like this guy. He's a Howard Stern wanna be, and people hate the fact that he's on the air here in Chicago.
The only real metal station in this area is a tiny one known as Rebel Radio. :headbang:

Chicago sucks for radio now, they used to have a great station years ago. If you want a real metal show listen to my radio show at www.wqna.org monday nights 7-9 pm central. we play death metal, black metal, htrash metal, and classic 80's metal. The monday before the saxon show in chicago I am going to do a 2 hour show with nothing but saxon. That is going to be an awesome show. I am also trying to get an interview through spv records with biff and the boys on our station to promote the us tour. I hope it comes through. Prasie saxon and metal.

blkhwkbob said:
I was wondering about those "35 people." The House of Blues show had a good crowd, and you must be referring to the JJ Kelleys show. I think both of them were weekdays and the venues aren't THAT far apart. I was also at the Aragon for Crue/Saxon/Heavy Pettin!

Other Saxon gigs I have been at:

Feb 27, 1986 Cabaret Metro
April 1, 1998 House of Blues
Nov 6, 2000 House of Blues

Also, Saxon played something called "ChicagoFest" back in the 80's. It was a precursor to the stupid "Taste of Chicago." The band actually played inside Soldier Field--between the football field and the original outside wall. They made the stadium smaller, and cut off a section of the building. That's where the stage was. Anyway, a fierce thunderstorm was rolling in. The two opening bands got cut short, and they hurried Saxon onstage, where they kicked ass. I think they got the whole show in before the rain came, but it was wild seeing Saxon playing outside with lightning creating its own stage show!
Dude, I was at that house of blues show april 1st 1998. Incredible, the best show I have ever seen. I didn't know about the show in 2000 or I would have been there. Awesome about the soldier field gig, that would have been so cool. I remember at the show in 98 (still have the tour shirt) that Winterkill opened for them. They were a great band, any idea what happened to them. I will see you Nov 7th in Chicago, you won't be able to miss me because I will be wearing a shirt promoting my radio show on wqna.