SAXON PLAYIN ONE OFF GIG IN HOUSTON THIS SAT!!!

LadyMetal

Sep 26, 2007
Las Vegas
OMG!! Just found out SAXON is playin a one off gig in Houston at the Meridian this sat the 23rd with Mercenary X!!! I so wish I would have known this sooner!!! :OMG:

Rock / British Metal:
Saxon was one of the early leaders of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, along with Iron Maiden and Def Leppard. The band was formed in Barnsley in 1977 by vocalist Biff Byford, guitarists Graham Oliver and Paul Quinn, bassist Steve Dawson, and drummer Pete Gill. Originally calling themselves Son of a Bitch, they soon decided to find a more subtle name, settling on Saxon. Like many young metal bands of the day, Saxon found it difficult to land a record deal in post-punk England, but eventually signed with French-based Carrere Records, releasing their self-titled debut in 1979. They band built a strong following touring Britain as support group to Motörhead and Nazareth and capitalized on this exposure with their sophomore effort the following year. Wheels of Steel featured a much heavier, metallic sound which finally did their songs justice. The album was immediately heralded as a NWOBHM classic by fans and critics alike and the band was apparently on their way. They released two more fine albums, Strong Arm of the Law and Denim and Leather, over the next year while touring relentlessly across Britain, Europe, and the U.S. Even the loss of founding drummer Pete Gill to Motörhead (replaced by Nigel Glockler) didn't slow their momentum, and a live album, The Eagle Has Landed, capped their hot streak in 1982. After experimenting with style and production overe several albums, they returned to their British metal roots. This resulted in their strongest material in years: 1992's Forever Free; 1995's excellent Dogs of War (after which guitarist Graham Oliver departed to re-form Son of a Bitch with Pete Gill and Steve Dawson); 1997's Unleash the Beast; 1999's Metalhead; and 2001's Killing Ground. The band even managed to land a new U.S. record deal with CMC International for the latter two discs, which also led to their first American tour in almost a decade. Byford and Quinn returned in 2004 with Lionheart, a pure metal blast that echoed earlier classics like Denim & Leather and Power & the Glory, followed by the similarly themed Inner Sanctum and Into the Labyrinth in 2007 and 2009, respectively.

Adapted from AllMusic.com

ONLY SECOND CLUB GIG IN THE USA THIS TOUR!!

With Special Guests:Mercenary X And "Camaro" DJ Mr. Castillo
..:: Admission ::..
Advance: $18 :: Day of Show: $20 ..:: Restriction ::..
16+ Only ..:: Times ::..
Door: 7:00 PM ..:: Tickets On Sale::..

Now Buy Tickets:http://www.meridianhouston.com/
SAXON WEBSITE:http://www.saxon747.com/en/itl/

I am not...unfortunately. BUT, I saw them in NYC on Tuesday, and you MUST go if you can!!! Two hours, 20 songs, sold out show, incredible!!! I'll never understand how Saxon did not "make it" in the US like Priest and Maiden. All three define classic/power metal of the 80's.

SAXON RULES!!! :headbang:

If I could go I would!! I have to work and didnt know about til just yesterday!! I saw them at WAcken Open Air in 07 and they were the main reason I went. I saw them at a small warm up to about 200 two days before the fest of 50-80k people and they were AMAZING both shows!! They really are an underrated band especially in the USA so I am glad they got one some fests over here. They play them like crazy in Europe! I HOPE they kick everyones ass when people see them over here that thought they were gone LONG ago!! They are still alive,putting out killer cds and kicking ass LIVE!!! Love these guys!! Hope to see them at Rock Gone Wild!! !!!
SAXON RULES!!!:worship::headbang: