Saxon questions

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Biff Byford of Saxon available for Interviews!!!
Interview Days are Thursday Jan 15th and Friday Jan 16th

I'm scheduled to interview Biff on Friday I have about 20 minutes and about 6 questions... Anything you'd like to add to the list and see if he answers it?

Will they make another attemtp to tour America after multiple cancellations in the last few years?
Are they open to something like the Metal Masters tour, or has there been talk of such a thing? I really think there should be a Priest/Maiden/Saxon tour.

I read awhile back that they are selling as many records now as they were at the time of Power and the Glory. I'm curious to know if that's true.

Biff's house in France burned a year or more ago. Did he build another there? Or is he back in England?

How did the Nigel Glockler reunion come about (he drums on the new record)?

Finally, I know there are some unreleased things out there, odd tracks and whatnot - any chance of a boxset, or previously unreleased set?

By the way, the new Saxon record came out on the 9th for anybody who forgot! I just got it, but haven't loaded it on my iPod yet (I'm doing so tonight).

Biff Byford of Saxon available for Interviews!!!
Interview Days are Thursday Jan 15th and Friday Jan 16th

I'm scheduled to interview Biff on Friday I have about 20 minutes and about 6 questions... Anything you'd like to add to the list and see if he answers it?

Why the turn in sound on the last album oriented to a blusier feeling, compared to their last 3 albums?

Why a new version of 'Coming Home'? the one on "Killing Ground" is astounding, but this is too bluesy.

How it feels to be a band with 30 years on the scene and still going strong?

Do you feel the band has changed musically a lot since the NWOBHM days?

How do you manage to sound as good in the last album as in the debut? I'm amazed how he keeps his voice practically intact.

Do you feel the metal scene today is better, same or worse than back in the early 80's?

What do you think about downloading, iPods and MP3s? Do you feel the music is loosing soul?

You have collaborated with some bands (Freedom Call, Doro) lending your voice, how do you feel about it?

In "The Eagle Has Landed pt.2" you had Yngwie Malmsteen as guest and in one speech you called Judas Priest the best metal band in the world. Are you always that humble, considering that after 30 years Saxon is probable a milestone for many bands to follow?

I got it back in November and can't say I care for it much. It's okay but nothing to get excited about, sadly.

Exactly. I already ordered it and it's on my way, but I got it mostly for completism and that many songs are alright, I can cut those than didn't convince me like I did with "Metalhead", but it's not an astounding album like "Killing Ground"

Actually, I'd compare it most to Killing Ground so far as content. I like it, though I'm not saying is as good as that. Only that it has a similar flow. Songs like Dragon's Lair (Sweeny Todd), but also like Running for the Border (Protect yourself).

It's the usual Saxon thing.

I walked into the local record store & bought the only copy they had of Saxon - Into The Labyrinth on Wednesday. I have to say I like this cd! Yeah, Good stuff.................

My copy of ITL arrived today, after the definitive listening (the CD test) I decided to get rid of 'Crime Of Passion', 'Protect Yourselves' and the boring version of 'Coming Home' and keep the rest of the album to record it on tape. Like I said before is like "Metalhead" the whole album doesn't deliver, there are astounding songs, average ones and bad ones, lacks consistency unlike the three before it.

I finally received this on Friday, listened to it yesterday, and was surprised to like it as much as I did. It does have a lot of energy even though some of the songs come off as generic. My opinion may not be credible since I enjoy Destiny quite a bit.

'Destiny' is not bad, it may be their weakest but that's all (and have 3-4 really good songs). Like I said before and I will say it again and again: Saxon HASN'T recorded a BAD album yet, weak maybe but not bad (that includes the new one that everybody consider a jewel but me).

Got Crusader on vinyl today. Hadn't heard it in years but man I love the production on this album.

Funny you mention it. That was the first Saxon album I listened in my life, the first I bought was a used copy of "Denim & Leather" on vinyl of course. I bought "Crusader" on vinyl used from the guy who introduced me to the band with that album. Years later he give me for my birthday the album on CD, and time later I did the same for him. Maybe that album is the strongest bond we have regarding metal.

BTW, I still have the vinyl is the gatefold version :D