Saxon - The Inner Sanctum

George

Jun 17, 2004
CT, USA
Saxon - The Inner Sanctum
SPV - 95922 CD - April 3, 2007
By George Grant

Saxon.jpg

Saxon. The name says it all. Having been apart of the seminal NWOBHM scene Saxon has had a long standing career. Some good and some bad, but that’s how it goes. In now 2007, the band has released their seventeenth full-length album (never mind counting the singles and best of compilations), The Inner Sanctum. Surprisingly, for a band of their age they still can deliver what they’ve been known for, traditional heavy metal.

I’ll admit that I was skeptical before listening to this album. Many times I’ve heard material from ageing bands that really should just let it go. The opening track ‘State of Grace’ didn’t help matters either. I found it to be a very dull song. There wasn’t much in the song writing to grasp a hold of. However, very quickly Saxon dismisses any notions of a band well passed its prime. The next track, ‘Need for Speed,’ kicks things into gear. Expect great guitar riffs to remind you of the days of old, and a driving force that you can’t help but get caught up in. This simple formula is easily applied by Saxon on this release and they achieve this with a youthful energy that many of their peers lack. It really does sound like the band is having fun playing the music, and this will no doubt affect you as a listener. Other tracks such as ‘Let Me Feel Your Power’ and ‘Going Nowhere Fast’ offer great choruses that are perfect for the live setting.

One fault I have with the record comes with the ballad, ‘Red Star Falling,’ and it’s not so much a musical problem but rather the placement of the song. Placing the song as the fourth track really disrupts the flow of the album. Had Saxon waited and placed the song further along in the album I feel it could have helped in the momentum.

Now, you must understand that Saxon isn’t inventing a new genre here. Rather they are content on playing heavy metal in the traditional style. Therefore, I can see many people not familiar with the NWOBHM movement to be uninterested in this release. Also, any fans of Saxon’s older material may find The Inner Sanctum to be a bit below the band’s earlier efforts. However, I think most will find this release to be a solid album by Saxon. It’s always great to hear a band with such a rich history create great music.

Official Saxon Website
Official SPV Records Website

Haha and IMO Red Star Falling is the best part of the album! Absolutely amazing song, and it's placing on the album is quite good I think, it gives the listener a bit of a breather.

I saw them live back in August and they were amazing! :D

This review has just reminded me to have a relisten of this album. I agree with the comment about it being a solid album.

I want to see these live, ive not yet had that pleasure.