Scams and Shams of the Music Business (book)

Hammer Bart

Mar 22, 2004
Netherlands
I was wondering if anyone has read this book: 'Confessions of a Record Producer: How to Survive the Scams and Shams of the Music Business'. It's written by a guy who calls himself Moses Avalon. He also has two other books called 'Secrets of Negotiating a Recording Contract', and 'Advanced Recording Contract Negotiations for Music Industry Professionals'.

If anyone here is familiar with his work I'd like to know if it's worth reading.

I first heard of it here:
http://www.lyricalline.com/articles/article-whatindustryislike.html

and there's his own website of course (the webdesign gets on my nerves though)
www.mosesavalon.com

thanks

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book right now. It's been a great read so far. It's written in a great format and takes a no non-sense approach to his dealings in the industry, and it's a really quick read. I've enjoyed it so far. Another book I really enjoyed was "So You Wanna be a Rock and Roll Star: How I Machine-Gunned a Roomful of Record Executives and Other True Tales from a Drummer's Life" by Jacob Slichter. He was the drummer of one-hit wonder band Semisonic. It's his personal recount of the industry from when they were a club band looking for a deal, all the way through the height of their popularity and all that happened to them. Excellent read, and pretty damn funny at times too. Great book.