Heavenly Call

Jul 30, 2002
Atlanta, GA
www.myspace.com
From the Nuclear Blast site:

[FONT=verdana,geneva]SCAR SYMMETRY offers the following update:

"Dear friends,
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]When things went from bad to worse and we realized that it wasn't going to work out with Christian, we were faced with two options; either calling it quits, or seizing the opportunity to take the next logical step in the evolution of our sound. We chose the latter.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]We've used both growls and clean vocals in our music since day one, and with each album we've pushed the envelope of what you can do vocally in a metal band to the point where a lot of the songs on Holographic Universe would be hard if not impossible to sing live. So the question is: Is it really possible to push the vocals even further and manage to perform everything live?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]The answer is YES! Instead of hiring a new singer, we decided - some of you might already have figured it out by now - to recruit TWO singers! The idea of having two vocalists in the band is something that's been in the back of our minds for a long time, and after auditioning and rehearsing with two of Sweden's best vocalists we're thrilled, excited, stoked-beyond-belief!!![/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]So let us introduce you to...[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]ROBERTH KARLSSON - lead growl vocals and backing clean vocals
Roberth was our first choice for the growling position. Jonas once called him "Sweden's finest growler", which is no overstatement. Roberth has been involved in many band throughout the years, among others Edge of Sanity and Facebreaker.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]LARS PALMQVIST - lead clean vocals and backing growl vocals
Roberth introduced us to his long-time friend Lars, who blew us away with his powerful-yet-beautiful voice. You can imagine our excitement when we learned that he's a fantastic growler as well! Despite his amazing talents he's virtually unknown to the metal public, which just might change as of today![/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,geneva]We are very fortunate to have found these guys. They bring to the band not only their incredible skills but also a positive vibe we haven't had for some time.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]We've posted a videoclip from when we auditioned Roberth and Lars, as a little teaser... Yes it might come across as we were drunk the entire time, which probably is very close to the truth. Enjoy!"[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]After we disclosed the news about Christian leaving SCAR SYMMETRY, we received a lot of applications for the vocalist-spot, both from unknown and well-known singers, from all around the world. Though we had already decided upon Roberth and Lars, it was really cool to listen to all of you! We didn't have time to reply to everyone, so here's a big THANK YOU to all of you who made the effort to send us your stuff!

[/FONT]

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. It was strange to see Amorphis at this year's PP where one singer sang both growls and clean vocals. The way Scar Symmetry recorded their vocals, it would be very difficult to do it live. But if you have two singers, it would work out quite well.

Heck, when I first listened to Holographic Universe, I thought there were two singers (one for growls and one for clean). I was surprised when I found out there was only one singer!

That's going to be a big slot to fill, even for two people. It's not so much that Älvestam can do both types of vocals, but that I genuinely like his vocals. Hopefully they will be able to truly push the vocals to the next level instead of just having two people do what one person could do just fine.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. It was strange to see Amorphis at this year's PP where one singer sang both growls and clean vocals. The way Scar Symmetry recorded their vocals, it would be very difficult to do it live. But if you have two singers, it would work out quite well.

I thought that was well played! It was so cool to see Tomi flow between clean and growls so effortlessly!

Heck, when I first listened to Holographic Universe, I thought there were two singers (one for growls and one for clean). I was surprised when I found out there was only one singer!

When Pitch Black Progress came out, I loved it, but the more I listened to it the more the vocals sounded strained. How is this one compared to Pitch Black Progress?

-Metal

I thought that was well played! It was so cool to see Tomi flow between clean and growls so effortlessly!

Next to Mikael Akerfeldt himself (last night, actually :headbang: ), I expect Tomi's clean and growl vox performance to be the best I've seen in a few years. :kickass:

It was good seeing some Forum folks at last night's Opeth show.
Great show, too!
"Serenity Painted Death" FTW. :worship:

That's going to be a big slot to fill, even for two people. It's not so much that Älvestam can do both types of vocals, but that I genuinely like his vocals. Hopefully they will be able to truly push the vocals to the next level instead of just having two people do what one person could do just fine.
Yep, the jury is way out. Alverstam was the best in the genre in my opinion, so filling his shoes his no small task. I'm curious to hear what they'll come up with.

Britt

The choice of two singers sounds like it could be a great idea and give them the flexibility to get a lot more depth with the vocals. Checked out the video. Despite the drunken shenanigans, you can get a little taste of the vocals when they do a bit of "Artificial Sun" at about 1:30. I was very impressed with Lars in just that tiny segment. Roberth definitely sounds like he can growl with the best of them, but that particular video doesn't give you much with which to judge his ability. Lots of sloppy, silly antics, though. :p Good fun.

Of course, few vocalists can achieve the singular beauty and versatility of Tomi. :worship: I was even more impressed then after previous performances. He just keeps getting better and better.

The 4 best singers that can turn on a dime and be flawless are Bjorn from soilwork, of course Akerfeldt, Swano, and Vintersorg. Also gotta mention Ihsahn, and also Simon from Dimmu, nobody can sing like him in arcturus, just so damned unique.

I prefer Christian's other band Miseration over Scar Symmetry personally.