screaming vox and beta 58?

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
should i use a beta 58 on screaming vox over say a sm57 or modded sm57 (supposed to be more like sm7)

also any eqing tips or compression or just any tips in general this is my first real good screamer project and I'm excited and wanna do a good job with vox!!

Why not just use a regular 58? I think they sound great. I've never used the 'modded' 57 though but the sm7's are killer mics as well.

dont have a regular 58 only a beta 58 which is our singers mic but i have sm57 and i also have a studio projects b1 condenser.

is a beta not as good for recording as a regular 58 or 57??

It depends heavily on the voice of the singer. The big $$$ trickster mic might not be the best choice on vocalist A, while the cheap radio shack mic might be awesome for vocalist B.

Trust your ears!

Definatley use a beta 58 over a 57 on vocs. I would choose a beta over a reg 58 in the studio. ALMOST like a condensor handheld in the studio. I hate them live though. Only cause my system is set up for a reg 58. They are way too harsh when not prepared for them. I think the oldschool guys like them cause they add that upper highs that they have lost over the years. These things used to be the cheap mics back in the day. now they are "the shit". and double the price.