SCUM TWENTY-EIGHT: Heavy Metal News

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
The state of news coverage in the heavy metal media is a joke. Most "news" consists of regurgitating press releases, or "exclusively" releasing "news" which could have been a general press release. Announcements of album titles, tracklists, things of that sort are not news. A musician making negative comments about another musician is not news. It is publicity and advertising at best, gossip at worst.

Any real news which gets out is carefully worded and controlled. Remember when the Philadelphia office of Nuclear Blast closed down and then the US office of Century Media announced they were going to run the US office of Nuclear Blast? That is probably the biggest real news in American heavy metal for the past ten years. What happened there? We did not get any news concerning the situation, we got press releases.

Do we ever learn true figures about record sales? Concert attendance? Salaries of record company executives or overall revenue of record companies? No, we don't. That's all proprietary information. Nobody else's business.

That makes Metal Sludge the closest thing to actual journalism in heavy metal. Isn't that just fucking great.

But the truth is that real industry news is the business of anyone affected by it. Including fans. Think about how the Napster/MP3/file-sharing issue has had an effect on the music industry. Sure, we've heard all sorts of numbers of the music industry as a whole. But how much of the heavy metal scene, with its distribution through mail-order and specialty shops, is included in that? What is going on in the world of heavy metal? All we have to go on are anecdotes. Arguments made on opinion. No facts, no figures.

Think about the issue of royalties and the musician's share of income from the money generated by their own efforts. Income has been a leading factor in band breakups, individual musicians quitting a band, and musicians changing their style. Don't you think investigations of record companies and record company executive income versus that of the musicians that their businesses are built on is of general concern?

This information (and it just scratches the surface of important issues that would be real news) directly impacts the music that is available to fans. The revealing of this information would be news. Yet fans are kept completely in the dark about important issues and are happy to discuss the decision of a band firing some bass player that neither wrote any music nor could ever be heard in the mix.

Any negative news items concerning heavy metal are regurgitation of news items from non heavy metal media sources. One almost never sees this "news" put into any sort of context by the heavy metal media, never sees any additional investigation or follow-up by those just reprinting news other people released. Scandal is something often hidden by the heavy metal media (for the good of the cause, of course). One would wonder how the reaction would be if a heavy metal writer unearthed an honest-to-goodness scandal with enough ramification that a major heavy metal record company or distribution company crumbled. I'd predict a loss of credibility and constant physical threats, not from any record company employee or musician who lost their job/record deal, but from fans angry that their access to music has been made difficult.

This sort of secrecy is not uncommon amongst business entities existing within fringe subcultures. The movers and shakers encourage ignorance and the fan base goes right along with it. Those who aren't satisfied with the current state of things, who want to know more, or who want change based on what they do know, are labeled as troublemakers. The fans who think the way things are should be the way things remain will cause problems for the dissenters. Heavy metal fans do not want investigation. They do not want the truth. None of it is important as long as they get the noise they want into their ears. But remember: Dissent is always heavy metal.

Judging how the world of heavy metal news holds up to the standards of heavy metal ideology is impossible, because there is no such thing as heavy metal news reporting. Hundreds of magazines and websites report the news yet there is not one news reporter working for any of them. We are all much poorer for it.

Good lord! This section is by far and away the most viewed section of "Scum" on the board. I had thought about raising this issue a couple months back, and the gap has even grown wider since the last time I looked. Why?

It's not about to change anytime soon. I was the news editor for Blistering.com for several months and it was incredibly frustrating how little actual news there was crossing my desk. Short of having direct contacts with bands [which is exceedingly rare in the case of big-name acts], there's really no way to get metal news to put out there without some kind of label or PR firm filter. Unlike real news, metal news doesn't happen in real time - ever. You don't get to see what actually goes on behind the scenes [or on the scene] when a story breaks [or, more accurately, allowed to break]. The only time you can usually get info from the horse's mouth is through interviews, which are usually carefully vetted through labels and PR firms with regard to who can interview whom and when. And if you do get some hot piece of info through an interview, it's usually months after the fact.

It's an ugly state of affairs for sure, but I don't really see any hope for improvement.

The interview with Destroy She Said I did for Jim once was not arranged by the band's promotion agency - I contacted them on my own. The content turned out to be trivial, and I did not intend to do anything else but a normal feature anyway, but still: when I told the promoters I had done that interview without their okay, they were pretty annoyed and said I should not do that again...odd, isn't it?

DBB said:
Good lord! This section is by far and away the most viewed section of "Scum" on the board. I had thought about raising this issue a couple months back, and the gap has even grown wider since the last time I looked. Why?

My guess is that people think it's an actual heavy metal news thread instead of bitching about heavy metal news.

Zealotry said:
It's not about to change anytime soon. I was the news editor for Blistering.com for several months and it was incredibly frustrating how little actual news there was crossing my desk.

So what happens if you edit out all the promotional fluff not directly connected to the news story (such as the plug for Mindcrime 2 when Queensrÿche ran into problems recently)? I'm under the impression the actual news wouldn't even be reported in most cases unless there was something to promote. :)