'Scuse the relative n00bie.... Needs a question answered... *blush*

Spike

Blinded By The Light...
Jul 15, 2001
Australia
I've heard some of his works (I mean HIS works, where HE is the principle artists) but, while I noticed he has his own label (Heavy Devy) I can't seem to find anything on it except for his works...

Can anyone think of the names of bands he's been involved with/ got started without making a direct contribution (ie: Instruments or Vocals).....? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreaciated. :)

*Trudges back to his natural habitat, being the Opeth forum....* :(

Um, he produced the latest Soilwork didn't he? BTW, why would you be interested in stuff he didn't make a direct contribution to, vocal or instrument wise? Hope this is what you were looking for...

Devy been discovered by steve Vai (he did vocals/guitars on his 1st album) he also recorded with jason newstead (ex-metallica) some project called IR8 , all of this before the 1st SYL album. he played guitar on a front line asembly album album as well. and few other things i cant think at the moment.

do you mean not direct contribution as in NOT vocals or instruments??

so what does that leave, producing or engineering?

I could give a good answer if I knew exactly what you meant, otherwise I'm lazy and dont want to type up a list of things if its not what you're looking for.. :lol:

The only HevyDevy-related bands really are the following:

Caustic Thought
Vai - "Sex and Religion" (as a hired gun, except for "Pig" and "Just Cartilege")
SYL
IR8 and Tree of the Sun - Devin does dumb stuff with Jasonic Newsted, not a vocalist in either
Ocean Machine / Noiseworks
Infinity
Physicist (same lineup as SYL Mk, 2, different gestaldt)
Zimmer's Hole
Punky Bruster
Terria
DTB

He's also worked with:
Stuck Mojo (coproduced Pigwalk album, appears on cover tunes on Violate This compilation)
Soilwork - NBC
December - Lament Configuration
Lamb of God (formerly Burn the Priest) -next album

And he was the vocalist for the song "Natural Science" on the Magna Carta tribute to Rush. However, most people who hear this don't get the joke.

and speaking of cover songs, he also appears on the Judas Priest Tributes, "Exciter" is performed by SYL, and "Sinner" is just credited as Devin Townsend.

while I'm at it, I'll provide a few more albums, just to try and get the whole discography...

James Murphy - Convergence: appears on 2 songs

Steve Vai - Fire Garden: I believe just vocals here and there, I can't recall it being hardly much of anything though.

Paradise Lost - Symbol Of Life: brought in by Rhys Fulber to assist in background vocals, not sure which songs, haven't listened through the album enough to see if he's noticable.

Front Line Assembly - Millenium: Guitar

also I think guitar as well for the FLA album Hard Wired... coincidentally those two FLA albums are the only ones I ever bought, and that was a few years before I became aware of Devy (not counting vai's S+R)