SDC OR LDC for overheads

CatharsisStudios

trcksngsrpbngs
Jun 25, 2008
i was just wondering. cause i am gona pick up a set of rode nt5s or should i pick up a AT4040 and have 2 of em for overheads. what do you guys think?

well i don't wana sample the drums anymore. so i want to get a fatter drum sound. and ESP get fatter sounding cymbals.

Well seeing as how most people (myself included) prefer high-passing the overheads anyway, I don't really see the point in LDC's (though a second 4040 would probably be cheaper than a pair of NT5's...) Don't you have an SM81 though dude? I'd rather get a second one of those than use NT5's...

Same as everyone's been saying. If you want the "big drum from the overheads" try the LDC. If you're just micing cymbals, then get the SDC's. I always prefered the ATM450's over the NT5 for overheads on the cheep. Just a thought.

well i don't wana sample the drums anymore. so i want to get a fatter drum sound. and ESP get fatter sounding cymbals.

well we actually had a 3 day lecture at the university about micing drums from a guy who has made something like 300 records and has been the executive audio producer in most of the major finnish movies in the past 20 years. The best way to getting SUPERFAT drum sounds was to use a big carpet under the drums so you won't get early reflections and then put the LDCs on the carpet without a stand facing up at 45 degree angle pointing towards the drummer, something like this:

drum_micing.jpg

We used AKG C414's but I think any LDC will do. When you think about it, it's super logical, because when you hit the drum head, the low end doesn't bounce back, but goes thru the drum.

And to get fat cymbal sound you need cymbals that sound fat. No magic way around that

And to get fat cymbal sound you need cymbals that sound fat. No magic way around that

Man ain't that the truth; life is so much easier if you just make sure to get it right at the source! Maybe just pick up a few good cymbals to use as backups should a drummer come in with garbage (budget permitting, of course :D)

Man ain't that the truth; life is so much easier if you just make sure to get it right at the source! Maybe just pick up a few good cymbals to use as backups should a drummer come in with garbage (budget permitting, of course :D)

Pretty much the same thing I said but in different words, as an analogy you can use get a woman sound like a man with a quite a bit of processing, but if the original sound is a man it is so much easier to make it sound like a man. Which reminds me of the "Hungary is that a country?" video on youtube... "women don't really want to hear man opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice"

word
anywho back to subject

grab another at4040 on use the nt5s. cause i still have my fucking audix f15s i could use if the drummers kit/ cymbals are that shitty.

Personally I was much happier with my drum sounds back when I was using LDC's on overheads (414's, AT4050's and even RV8's!) compared to now that I'm using SDC's (C391B's) to the point where I think I'm gonna sell my C391's.

I find I get way to much cymbals with SDC's and not enough drums (I tend to do much more natural sounding stuff compared to most people on here)

So really I'd say go for the AT4040 dude, I was considering picking another up but the price has blown up over here big time! I'm sure I got mine for less than £200 a couple of years ago and now they're over £300!

As far as close mic'ing with LDC's goes, doesn't Andy use a 414 for the ride? SDC's are probably going to react faster though for crashes/splashes etc.

if you are recording in a bedroom size space with not-so-great cymbals, you're going to need to high pass a lot of crud out of the mix anyways. small diaphragm condensers would be the best bet, just high pass them for cymbal mics. if you want room sound, i would set up the 4040 somewhere in the room by itself, that way you have more control over how much room sound you actually want in the mix rather than being stuck with whatever the overheads give you.

btw, i just put my nt5's on craigslist today for $250. i'm not trying to hijack the thread, just pm me if you are interested.

edit: also, why is there so much hate on small diaphragm condensers as overheads? akg 451's and oktava mk012's are amazing mics for overheads, and i would personally prefer those to many LDC mics as overheads, including 414's.

I have a pair of sm81's, a pair of AKG c451ebs and a pair of AT4033's that I use alternately on overheads. As far as the decision between sdc versus ldc, depends a lot on your room as stated by someone else earlier, or if you're mainly going to just mic the cymbals and not worrying about picking up the rest of the kit. I've actually preferred the sound of my 4033's on overheads over the 81's and 451eb's. The 451's sound great, but can be overly bright at times. I'd probably try another 4040. Also, those LDC's can do a great John Bonham drum sound if set up correctly. Although that technique isn't used very much in the metal genre. Good luck dude! You're already getting some slammin' sounds with what you've got! :headbang:

go SDC's dude

nt5's have been fine for me - when i have used good cymbals they have sounded great.......maybe some people knock them as they are cheap and probably use cheap cymbals etc too and therefore arent so keen.

thats not to say there are better mics out there, of course id love some km84's etc

well we actually had a 3 day lecture at the university about micing drums from a guy who has made something like 300 records and has been the executive audio producer in most of the major finnish movies in the past 20 years. The best way to getting SUPERFAT drum sounds was to use a big carpet under the drums so you won't get early reflections and then put the LDCs on the carpet without a stand facing up at 45 degree angle pointing towards the drummer, something like this:

drum_micing.jpg

We used AKG C414's but I think any LDC will do. When you think about it, it's super logical, because when you hit the drum head, the low end doesn't bounce back, but goes thru the drum.

also man i am gonna try that soon that might have been one of the best tips on this forum, thank you :)