SDC OR LDC for overheads

Oh fuck i am god damnit idoit iokay I cleared it out, shit shit shit lolol. i am on aim hit me up TheRYanHarvey.

Was it Tipi Tuovinen by chance? If it was, say hi from me! (If he remembers! :p)

Yup :) Nice man who stutters, but knows his shit well. I'll say you said Hi when we have his lectures next week

Hm.. but that technique is supposed to be capturing the character of the toms? or an image of the whole kit?

It depends, but the example Tipi showed to get the fat sound it was to more to support the close miced drums

id choose the Nt5s over the 4040s on ohs aaaaany day
The 4040s are BRIGHT and i mean REEEEEALLLY Bright..
too bright for me. except on ride.
which is about all i use em on

well we actually had a 3 day lecture at the university about micing drums from a guy who has made something like 300 records and has been the executive audio producer in most of the major finnish movies in the past 20 years. The best way to getting SUPERFAT drum sounds was to use a big carpet under the drums so you won't get early reflections and then put the LDCs on the carpet without a stand facing up at 45 degree angle pointing towards the drummer, something like this:

drum_micing.jpg

:err: Interesting idea, but what would you do when the drum kits toms are mounted on the kick drum? or am i looking at the image wrong?

The best way to getting SUPERFAT drum sounds was to use a big carpet under the drums so you won't get early reflections and then put the LDCs on the carpet without a stand facing up at 45 degree angle pointing towards the drummer, something like this:

drum_micing.jpg

I love this idea. I've heard of something similar before, but...

Now, wouldn't it be a bad idea to put a mic right on the floor? You'd be picking up all the vibrations the drums are making when you hit them and flanking noise that way. How about put some rockwool insulation underneath to acoustically decouple them? This also looks like it would only work with condensers that have a flat face, because ones that are spherical could easily rotate when laid down.

Any insight?

BTW I recommend either, depends on application. You could use BOTH if you're careful with phase. Looks like Sneap was doing it on TGE by Nevermore.

I loooooove my nt5s I paid under $200 for a patched pair shipped a few months ago. found em on ebay. one of the best purchases I've made. they are worth every penny. I have a couple songs up on the rate my tone/mix forum. both of these songs had nt5s overhead with zildjian avedis cymbals. can't really compete with most of the pros on here, but they are best sounding drums I've ever recorded.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...28-lend-me-your-critical-ears-first-post.html

My best results for overheads have come from C414B's and U87's, which are both LDC's.. the only exception I've found where I've used SDC's and preferred them to LDC's were I believe B&K 4006's which were omni; gave a very detailed open 'natural' sound