SEBASTIAN BACH Says He 'Believed' In SKID ROW Song 'Youth Gone Wild' Before Anybody E

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Robert Cavuoto of Guitar International recently conducted an interview with former SKID ROW singer Sebastian Bach. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.Guitar International: I really think that you took ["Give 'Em Hell"] a step above "Kicking & Screaming" with the writing. Was that a goal to go one better?Sebastian Bach: That's impossible. I don't know why some people look at music like sports. What is better? [Laughs] When I made the first SKID ROW record, I remember walking around Six Flags Great Adventure with the guitar player saying, "Can you imagine if anybody liked it — if we got a gold record?" Here we are six million copies later. I don't know what is better to somebody or worse. I just know that I dig it; that's it. That's all I know. I dug "18 & Life", when I finished recording that in the studio, and I dig "Give 'Em Hell" and "Kicking & Screaming". Every album I've ever put out, I love, except for maybe THE LAST HARD MEN. Other than that, every record I've ever put out I love. That's all I can do. There's no formula or master plan or way to do things. It's like, "Here's a riff, here's a scream." [Laughs] It's not an exact science. It's not math; it's emotion. So what is good or better to you could be completely different to somebody else. Making music is so nebulous. You go into a room with nothing, and then you're expected to come out with something that you're so proud of. There's no real way to get to that point. I know when I'm done — when I love it with all my heart. Then I don't think it could be any better, and I think "Give 'Em Hell" is just top notch — from the sound, to the production, to the performances, to the tone.Guitar International: Your voice is as strong as anything you've done with SKID ROW 25 plus years ago. What do you do to take care of it?Sebastian Bach: I have a vocal scale called bel canto that is used by many, many, many singers from Tony Bennett to Lady Gaga to Bon Jovi, to Christina Aguilera — we all use this vocal style of scales called bel canto. It's a proven method of improving your voice and making it strong and that's what I do. The same way a guitar player will warm up his fingers, I warm up my voice. After doing that for 25 years, I think the voice becomes something even beyond what you could imagine if you do it for decades. You're hearing a guy — me — that has been doing this for over 25 years. So I've had a lot of practice now. [Laughs] I have to admit when I listened back, I can't believe it's me. [Laughs] I'm thinking about some of the screams in the middle of "All My Friends Are Dead" and going, "My God, I can't believe it. I just can't believe that's my new record." [Laughs]Guitar International: Have you ever had any vocal problems in your career?Sebastian Bach: I have a weird voice. If I have a cold, or if I overdo it on the road, sometimes Ill lose my mid-range, but I very rarely lose the high range. Strange. [Laughs] My problem as a vocalist mostly is if it's too loud on a small stage in a club, then my pitch will be fucked up. If I'm standing right next to the drum kit, I don't like to be in a position where I have to shout or yell to be heard. That's when you can see the diva side of me on YouTube, when I'm throwing shit at the monitor man.Guitar International: Did you ever realize the anthemic impact of "Youth Gone Wild" back in the day?Sebastian Bach: Yes, before anybody in the world did. When SKID ROW wanted me to join the band, they sent me a cassette with a bunch of songs on it and that song was probably my favorite. When I joined the band, I got the tattoo of "Youth Gone Wild" on my arm before we had a record deal, before we had a manager. I got "Youth Gone Wild" tattooed on my arm when we were a club band. So, I'm the one who fucking brought that shit to the planet. I'm not saying it was just me; I'm saying it was all of us as a band. But I believed in that song with all my heart before anybody else did that I know about. A lot of people think I got that tattoo after we had sold a million copies of the record. I got it when we were completely unknown, when nobody knew that song. That's when I got it.Read the entire interview at Guitar International.

More...