Seinfeld DVD News

bRaTpRiNcEsS

Feb 4, 2002
Past the Point of Caring
Visit site
'Kramer' ends holdout over 'Seinfeld' DVD

clear.gif

Dec. 26, 2003 04:27 PM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Kramer has crossed the "Seinfeld" picket line.

Michael Richards, the beloved, wacky star of the much-Emmy'd comedy series has broken ranks with costars Jason Alexander and Julia Louis-Dreyfus and decided to participate in an upcoming DVD about the show, reports E!Online.

Until now, all three stars have passed on participating in the project because of financial woes - reps for all three actors have said their clients were unhappy with their payoffs from the continually successful show and they didn't want to work for free.

But Richards finally caved to pressure after talking things over with series star Jerry Seinfeld over the weekend. He maintains that he would like to receive some cash for participating, particularly since others like Seinfeld, co-creator Larry David and several others involved in production are still making money from the show.

"I think everyone wants to get paid," Richards told The New York Times. "Is it honorable for those on the inside to make compensation? That's an ethical question they have to deal with. But I never heard back from anybody."

It seems unlikely that Kramer will cash in for his participation, since actors don't generally get paid on residual deals like DVDs.

"I innocently asked a question: 'Is there some compensation?' I don't believe there is," Richards told the Times. "There isn't anything."

Still, Richards says he's going to do his part to make the DVD a success.

"I'm not boycotting," he said. "I'm involved. I was never called to do an interview. I am so for the DVD coming out that I'll go on the 'Tonight' show."

Elizabeth Clark, a rep for Seinfeld, says the actor still has hope that the erstwhile George and Elaine will come around and that he plans to get in touch with them in the New Year. "He hopes they will participate in the DVD," she said in a statement.
[/font]

Reactions: CyThrax
I agree the actors should get money for working to premote the DVD or for doing comentary voice over work. Yeah they made money for the acting they have allready done but does that mean they should work for free now? The fans want all the actors to do comentary tracks on the DVDs shouldn't NBC pay up to make sure that happens?

Reactions: jdelpi
Cincy Vigilante said:
I agree the actors should get money for working to premote the DVD or for doing comentary voice over work. Yeah they made money for the acting they have allready done but does that mean they should work for free now? The fans want all the actors to do comentary tracks on the DVDs shouldn't NBC pay up to make sure that happens?
Bravo! :worship: