Self Produced Mix/Master - Opinions?

sdmf45

Chains Of Failure
Mar 8, 2014
South Florida
Looking for any feedback/tips.

Guitars were recorded with an SM57.

Peavey 6505 and Laney Ironheart 120 through a Mesa Rectifier 2x12.
Bass was Ampeg SVT-7PRO.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is really good ,love the guitars sound ,mix could be little more clear especially kick / bass guitar relation ,until 3.14 it's hard to distinct bass guitar from kick,it's there but need more control.And lead/solo guitar can be louder and maybe 'wetter' ,the solo on 4.04 is spot on volume/wet.I love guitars man very organic and pleasant to hear.

This is really good ,love the guitars sound ,mix could be little more clear especially kick / bass guitar relation ,until 3.14 it's hard to distinct bass guitar from kick,it's there but need more control.And lead/solo guitar can be louder and maybe 'wetter' ,the solo on 4.04 is spot on volume/wet.I love guitars man very organic and pleasant to hear.

Thanks for the response man, Would you start with the bass or the kick drum to get more separation?

Bass guitar ,it sound like u cut to much off the low end (to many narrow spikes) ,I can hear a little bit of distorted bass track.If you don't work this way, try it,make two duplicate tracks for bass.DI track ,second for amp simulation (watch out for phase issues) and 3rd for distorted/crunch sound and blend them.Butt two track's can do the job DI/Crunch.

Guitars have a nice thickness to them.

I would work on the drums a bit more with balance and the sit the rest in a little better to get a good balance. It could sound very tight and solid specially being a very powerful sound.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I will try that with the bass as we only did one bass track straight up the middle and never was completely happy with it, I just wasn't sure where exactly to start.