Sell gibson and get a hellraiser?

GhostUnholy

Aug 16, 2007
Hey guys,

I had decided to put an 81 and 60 in my lp studio after your advice from the other thread i made and some other research but I figured, I don't really enjoy playing my LP that much, due to the shape and it fret access and so on. Before I spend money getting and swapping the pickups, do you think itd make sense to sell the LP for other guitars? I could probably get a fair bit for the guitar as its in perfect condition, and instead of paying for the pickups & installation & the setup i was going to get for recording i could buy a hellraiser 6 and 7 string with just an extra couple hundred...

I know they're popular guitars for metal but is this stupid? How is the build quality of the schecter stuff? They seem like too good of a deal given the features and reviews really, would i be majorly downgrading my instrument quality if i were to do this?

Alternatively, the LP was my standard tuning guitar for jams and stuff until i was going to throw the new pickups in and record with it, I could just keep it as is and pickup a 6 string hellraiser c-1 for $730... are they worth it?

Which will record heavy rhythms better? I'm going down to try them out later for feel and sound tonight but i'd like to hear about peoples experiences with schecter.

Schecter's are built really well, as are ESP LTD's, and Gibsons are sketchy at best with their build quality, so your new guitar would be as well-built (if not better) than your old. I'm generally not a fan of the 24.75" scale length of the Paul, and the high-fret access is, as you mentioned, atrocious, so I'd definitely say go for a new one. Of course, I have an ESP EC-400, and I'm gonna hang on to it because it plays great and I've gotten so used to it (and it's too beat-up to sell :lol: ), but I really do prefer 25.5" necks, cuz I can use thinner strings (relatively) and still maintain approximately the same tension.

Personally, I don't like Schecters - I think they all look painfully similar to one another (good god, how many people can have the same black or black-cherry arch-top super strat with white binding? Christ...), and I find the necks are too thick, so I'd recommend an ESP LTD H-1001, but that's just personal preference. But it's great to have two guitars (for different tunings or to use one as a backup), so if you can afford to keep the Paul and get a new one, I'd say do it!

Hey thanks for your quick reply metaltastic.

I agree with you, my LP's build quality/playability is nothing to write home about but it is a beautiful instrument aesthetically. :p

I actually have two more guitars, two PRSs, a standard 24, and a custom 24 that I think im going to throw a duncan fullshred/alnico II pro set in, but they boh have floating bridges... I love them for the quality, finish, playability, and versatility and they will remain my main live guitars but they wont quad track well i think...

I'm thinking to sell the LP, grab a 6 string hellraiser for recording and as my live backup to my Cu24, tune the St24 up to standard for playing fusion and light rock and stuff since its better for that than the paul anyhow, and also grab a 7 string hellraiser cause I was looking at buying a 7 stringer anyways for doing some songs with that for my next album...

I'll check out the ESP as well, thanks for the tip man
and I agree the schecters look WAY too similar

Get the Schecter, i own one, the hellraiser and is one of the best guitars i´ve ever played, i don´t like Lp´s at all, at least not for Metal.
The hellraiser is built for Metal, but do the work well to for rockish stuff.

Just checked out the specs on the H-1000, it looks like another great deal, but with the maple neck will it brighter and less chunky for rhythm playing? Also can someone with experience with both ESP and Schecter give me a comparison of their experiences, or speak to the build quality of the two brands?

both have great build quality, what i like about the hellraiser is that is light and very very comfortable, the neck is thick, but since the Lp is thick too, you´ll find it familiar.

Yeah, build quality is great on both, and I honestly prefer a maple neck (but NOT neck-thru, cuz that means the entire core of the body is maple, which is super-bright), cuz I find it has a better attack than all-mahogany guitars, which are chunky but can sound a bit dulled without much attack.

Cool, I'll try them both out tonight and decide which neck I like better and whether I really like them better than the LP or not, and which plays faster.

What you should know right off the bat is that LTD and Schecter are one and the same. Schecter says they aren't, ESP says they are. I think ESP would get into a lot of trouble for saying that if it weren't true.

Now, to really help you out. In the past I have owned several high-end USA guitars, PRS, Gibson, Fender and Jackson. What I found, in comparison to my EC-1000 and HellRaiser C7, is that pretty much every import that retails around $800+ is most likely just as good (and in some cases better) than US made guitars. My EC-1000, IMO, is actually better in build quality, playability and overall than any of the numerous Gibson Les Paul Customs I owned in the past. I owned a couple of PRS guitars that I *really* liked, but just as the Gibsons they were overpriced in comparison. To put it another way, when I quit working at the studio that paid me enough to afford all of these nice guitars, I decided to sell them all because A) they were mainly for client use/eye candy and B) I hardly used most of them. But what did I decide to keep? My EC-1000 and my Fender Strat, a Mexican at that. My HellRaiser was of the same quality as the EC-1000, fretwork was perfect, inlays perfect, fit and finish perfect, action was great, everything about it was great. With both my EC-1000 and HellRaiser I honestly feel like I ripped ESP off.

~006

both have great build quality, what i like about the hellraiser is that is light and very very comfortable, the neck is thick, but since the Lp is thick too, you´ll find it familiar.

I disagree that the neck is thick, its thicker than an Ibanez Wizard II, but then, what isn't?:lol:

I have a Greco Les Paul (with a Medium Fat neck) and a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger and the Schecter is considerably thinner and faster than the Greco. Unless you play incredibly technical, sweeps-every-20-seconds-metal, I can't see the neck being a problem. Do yourself a favour and check out the Jeff Loomis sig 7, its meant to be amazing, especially as they now have a Fixed bridge version.

it´s thicker than normal, that´s what i meant to say, you´re right not as a Lp, but more than Jackson or Ibanez

I disagree that the neck is thick, its thicker than an Ibanez Wizard II, but then, what isn't?:lol:

I have a Greco Les Paul (with a Medium Fat neck) and a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger and the Schecter is considerably thinner and faster than the Greco.

I dunno dude, the Schecters I've played (most notably a black cherry super-strat with EMG's and an original Floyd, I assume it's the C-1 Hellraiser FR) have all had necks that were noticably (and annoyingly, to me) thicker than the neck on my ESP EC-400, which to me is the perfect thickness (I just wish the nut was wider).

And Mike, that's a helluva collection you've gone through dude, damn! I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and have only owned 4 guitars (3 of which I still have now, the first was my starter that I tried to "mod" by stripping the paint, which was successful, and routing a cavity for a Floyd, which was...unsuccessful :lol: The primed body with this chunky, gaping hole is still hanging in my garage to this day :D)

Thanks for the great info 006! I had no idea they were the same company

On another note the only ESP i have experience with is my other guitarists backup ltd 400 series guitar, don't know the model name, but its kind of shitty, he has all kinds of problems with the action that he hasn't been able to fix. Are the ltd deluxe series or whatever significantly higher quality or was he just unlucky?

The Deluxe series, anything with 1000 in the name, is like LTD's nicest guitars. However, even the 500 series are decent. I honestly don't have much experience with many other ESP/LTD axes other than the H-1000 I use to own, before they changed the headstock, which I liked just as much as my EC-1000. It had the Duncans in it, not EMGs, so it was a good contrast from my Eclipse. The Deluxe series are what I am referring to as being just as good, and often times better than, as Gibson and PRS in terms of craftsmanship, playability, tone, fit & finish... everything. The Gibsons and PRS that I owned I had to try like 10 different guitars each to find one I liked with the finish/options/model I wanted. The EC-1000 I ordered online and was more than happy with it. Never even played it once, not even in a store before I ordered. Just ordered it and fell in love when it arrived.

Marcus, you should see the list of what I had when I was working at that studio. I was making a lot of money and really had nothing to do with it other than buy guitars and amps haha.

~006

I've had a Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR for 1 year and a half now and i cannot be more happy with it.

This guitar is just perfect for me (i used it stock in standard E for like a month when i bought it, sounded great, and after i tuned it in standard C# and had it set up by a luthier and it's ripping ever since !). I would never change it. Definitely worth the approx. 950€ i paid for it.

About the way it looks/the shape, i think it's just awesome.

Alright guys, so I just got back and I found the evening to be educational... I spent a good 2 hours with a schecter c1 hellraiser, an ltd h-1001, ltd h 400 or whatever its called, and then later and esp m1 and eclipse.

First off though 006, I know EXACTLY what you mean with the inconsistency of the Gibsons and the PRSs. With the LP i ordered it from the store and while I didn't get one of the really terrible units it wasn't as good as a couple i had tried in the past. With the two PRSs, I tried out so many of each model before buying that it was mindboggling. Especially the Cu24 I have, I was in NYC at the time for a trip so I spent 3 days and tried basically every Cu24 in the city, well over a dozen and they all had slightly different options and more importantly, they all played very differently. However, I'm extremely satisfied with the two units I ended up buying.

But yeah back to the schecter/esp experiment. Keep in mind that I haven't owned nearly as many guitars as 006 has apparently and I don't have ears of audio engineering experience like some of you so maybe my years aren't so good. But I have played for a lot of years and played a LOT of good high end gear.

The first guitar I tried was the C-1 Hellraiser, through alternately (same for all the other models) a peavey jsx and crate blue voodoo they had at the store. Not the ideal choices obviously but they worked. First thing I thought was that the 81 in the bridge sounded really trebly and rhythms were not as thick as I'd expect from a guitar with these specs. The feel though was GREAT, very fast action, the thickness of the neck didn't bother me at all since im used to my LP, and the lack of that sucky neck heel that the PRSs have made for great fret access. I moved over to the neck 89 since I wasn't liking the 81 in that guitar and it sounded much better, I hadn't expected to like it but I loved how beefy it sounded. Still though, the feel was not markedly better than any of my own guitars, I mean, it was comfortable, but I can play everything I want to play on my guitars so how does it really matter? And most importantly I wasn't happy with the sound. It sounded almost metallic and tinny compared to PRSs, despite being mahogany body/neck it didn't really sound warm and full. I wasn't really "feeling" the tone it sounded kind of thin and cheap to be honest.

Next was the H-1001. Seems like they're nearly the same guitar, though I felt my hand flying across the thinner neck quicker. I could really hear the difference the maple made, the tone was punchier and had more cut than the Schecter, though at the same time wasn't as full and warm (which is a problem for me since I already thought the schecter wasn't nearly warm or full enough for my tastes). Other than that I didn't find anything really different from the Schecter.

Now to see the consistency of ESP models the best I could do for a scientific comparison was to try the 400 series version of the horizon... and it lacked some of the bells and whistles of the h-1001 but felt exactly the same and through high gain amps sounded pretty much the same. I'd be lying if I told you I could tell a difference. There may have been a slight difference feel but it was so slight that I can't tell if its just one of those things where Im remembering something I think I should remember but didn't actually observe. Let me note that the Schecter, and both ESPs thus far felt exactly the same essentially, except for the difference in neck thickness. While I have the thought, I read about the history of two companies and from what I understand they're supposed to be managed seperately but both owned by the japanese guy who started ESP in 83, he bought schecter in 88 or 89 or something like that. The hellraiser and horizon are so similar though that I think its pretty clear that they're not managed totally seperately. The H-1001 has switched from the old headstock of the h-1000 to one very much like the one on the hellraiser, another suggestion, maybe theyre built in the same factory...

Now what I found while the build seemed consistent, I didn't like the sound of any of these guitars. With the wall of gain going I felt vaguely satisfied, but none of them sounded quite warm enough, so I did my usual bit and listened to the guitars for a while unplugged with my ear right to the guitar. The hellraiser had none of the richness or softness of my PRSs but sounded thin and almost metallic like i mentioned before. The ESPs didn't sound so "metallic" but sounded brighter obviously with the maple and again didn't have that warmth to the sound. The notes didn't bloom the way they do on my Cu24, or even to an extent like on my LP studio believe it or not.

When I mentioned this to the salesman, he brought me an M-1 to show me one of the japanese builds (he said theyre japanese anyways I didn't read about the higher models so I can't confirm). Immediate night and day difference. I believe it was an Alder body with maple neck through. The action and fret access were awesome, just like on the cheap ones, plus it had an unfinished neck so it really played like butter. However, i first tried it acoustically just to compare, and even though I guess alder/maple neck thru should sound brighter and thinner than all mahogany it sounded considerably richer, and when I plugged into the JSX, it really ripped. It had TONS of cut. First thing to note is I was favoring the 85 neck to the 81 bridge when I tried the cheap ones, on this guitar I LOVED the 81. The combo didn't sound thin or weak at all it was sizzling and hot and lead tones cut like a knife. Rhythms tones were pretty good too, but not huge and chunky, though I guess that can be expected with the materials used.

Next he brought me an esp eclipse, and again, the cheaper guitars had nothing on this. It was mostly mahogany. HUGE, fat warm sound with 81 in the bridge, it was so fat the 85 was really overkill in the neck. And despite it being singlecut, with 24.75", and worse fret access it still just played extremely fast, much more comfortable than my LP and with lots of cut. The neck was thinner than on my LP, pretty similar to my PRSs, and the fretboard was nice and flat for fast runs.

So to summarize, this was probably my most scientific test of a series of guitars except for when I tried all those PRSs in NYC, and the differences in wood quality were very definitely audible to my ears. The higher end ESPs were a joy to play and listen to but the lower end ones were only a joy to play. Hearing them left something to be desired, to my ears anyways. ESP seems like a much more consistent brand than PRS though in terms of the playability of these models across different models was all the same, and I tried over a dozen of the same PRS in NYC and they all felt different. However, I don't think I'd be happy playing any of the ESPs except the higher ones. While the PRSs were inconsistent, and not all of them sounded and felt as good as one another, every single one sounded warm and lush acoustically, I'm assuming because they all use good woods. Another thing worth mentioning, is I guess the M-1 is basically ESPs version of the Jackson Soloist and I'd take it over a much more expensive SL1 any day. It just was so much better in terms of playability while still sounding great that I don't see how I could ever justify spending on an SL1.

Last thing I need to address if the pickup issue. Last time i played a guitar with EMGs was 5 years ago. 3 of the guitars had an 81/85 setup, the schecter was an 81/89, and the m-1 had a single 81. Whoever started the bullshit about actives sounding the same with every guitar is a complete fucking moron and should be shot. The sound differences between instruments was so obvious that the only reason for them to sound the same were if you were deaf. The 81 colored the tone a lot less than most of the passives I've tried... I'm starting to think that people who complain about lifeless sterility in the emgs are LOOKING for the different colorations and degrees of responsiveness you can get from picking different passives.

Sorry for the long diatribe but I found this trip very educational! I decided to just keep the LP and throw an 81/85 set in there, and Ill probably try swapping around to 85/81 to see how it sounds at some point. Its not an ideal guitar but I like the warm sound even if it isnt the greatest in terms of playability and if Gibson's quality standard has clearly dropped a lot. Later down the road I'll look into a higher end 7 from ESP or maybe a caparison dellinger 7 or something, and if at somepoint I have money again for a better 6 string with EMGs for this recording application i'll sell the gibson.

Great report dude! I've never A/B'ed a high-end guitar with a high-end-for-a-Korean-built guitar, but I really want to after your report on the high-end ESP's sounding so good (when I got my RGA321 Prestige earlier this summer, my first high-end guitar, I was immediately blown away by how much better it sounded unplugged than my EC-400 or Ibanez RGT42, both Korean made - however, I attributed the difference mostly to the monstrous flamed-maple top on the RGA that's like 5/8" thick at the center of the body). Sounds like an educational trip! And this:

Whoever started the bullshit about actives sounding the same with every guitar is a complete fucking moron and should be shot. The sound differences between instruments was so obvious that the only reason for them to sound the same were if you were deaf. The 81 colored the tone a lot less than most of the passives I've tried... I'm starting to think that people who complain about lifeless sterility in the emgs are LOOKING for the different colorations and degrees of responsiveness you can get from picking different passives.

is the truth, and nothing but. I salute you. :headbang:

Great report dude! I've never A/B'ed a high-end guitar with a high-end-for-a-Korean-built guitar, but I really want to after your report on the high-end ESP's sounding so good (when I got my RGA321 Prestige earlier this summer, my first high-end guitar, I was immediately blown away by how much better it sounded unplugged than my EC-400 or Ibanez RGT42, both Korean made - however, I attributed the difference mostly to the monstrous flamed-maple top on the RGA that's like 5/8" thick at the center of the body). Sounds like an educational trip!

Haha thanks bro, it took a good loooooong time to write that up. I thought it could be valuable to other people, since I know I always wish people would put detailed reviews of stuff they tried/owned when I'm looking to make a decision on gear and the people here have already helped me out and i've only been here a few days. :headbang:

There definitely is a difference when listening acoustically. It makes me want to see what these custom guitars the artists are getting are really like and also I really want to try some guitars from companies like caparison, vigier, suhr, etc. and see if there continues to be a marked difference as you keep ugrading all the parts.