Separating amp and cab over a long distance?

florianvantuil

New Metal Member
Nov 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I was wondering what the best way is to separate my amp from my cab over a long distance, approximately 15m. I'm currently using these radial DI's http://www.thomann.de/nl/radial_engineering_sgi.htm to play guitar in my control room and put the loud amplifier in the other room. But it would be easier if I had my amp with me in the control room to tweak the knobs.

Now I'm wondering. Is it possible to send the speaker signal through the radial boxes to the other room into the cab or am I going to blow something up this way? If this isn't possible, what would be my best option, just a 15m speaker cable?

Yeah long speaker cable runs are always gonna be less detrimental than guitar lead runs

Yup, you see really long speaker cable runs in PA stuff all the time with no problems. I use a pretty long cable to run my cab upstairs when I'm recording and it's awesome. Being able to adjust everything in the control room without bleed is the best, I won't ever be able to go back!

I've doing this for years. I used to go out into the room and adjust the mic for hours to get it right but that's a great way to kill your ears. Having the head in the room is much faster, of course you're still going to have to screw around with mic placement a little. The main downside is that feedback is harder to get when you want it. Fender and Softube came up with a pretty sweet pedal for that though.

I've used mains cable before for this. A 13A extensions cable with a couple of jacks soldered on each end