Van Alan

Oct 11, 2001
Utah, USA
www.metalprovider.com
Silencer and Serberus - Black Flames And Burning Worlds
Independent - 2001

By Van Alan

3bfbwArtwork1.jpg
This Serberus/Silencer split CD is a limited edition and I was very happy to receive my copy (number 39 of 300) in the mail. I was let down by the fact that the release is only a CDR, but it does include full artwork and the sound is great. The CD starts off with a track from the 2001 Serberus CD Our Dying Grace before blasting through some of their staples from 1999s In Eternity. Next Serberus settle into an exclusive song titled 'Seasons Of Blood', a selection not found on any other Serberus recording. The song if fast and crunchy with heavier riffs, but there is also an allegiant sounding guitar solo combined with a few slower parts. 'Seasons Of Blood' is easily the highlight on the first half of the CD and hopefully the song will sneak into a future Serberus CD.

serberus2cover.jpg
This disc makes the third Serberus album, and second for the 2001 timeframe. Black Flames And Burning Worlds is for collectors only, as it is of a limited edition, but it is the sophomore effort Our Dying Grace that I believe could possibly place Serberus on the worldwide black metal map. What I thought was great on In Eternity is only left smoldering in a pile of ashes in comparison to the music on Our Dying Grace. It included two songs from their previous EP, but new versions were recorded with better production and twice the mayhem. There is also a great cover version of Destruction's 'Curse Of The Gods', reborn in Serberus fashion, plus a multimedia section including videos and the entire In Eternity debut in mp3 format. Serberus mix the attitude of Possessed with the black metal sound of today.

3kozmosArtwork1.jpg
On the other hand, this CD marks the second CD from Silencer; the previous release entitled Kozmos left me astonished after hearing Silencer's brand of cosmic power/thrash. A shortened intro of the instrumental 'Easter Island' begins the set, but unlike the Serberus half the Silencer portion displays a few more added bonuses. 'The Error Of Your Ways', 'Descending The Ziggurat' and 'Cold War' appear on a Silencer CD for the first time. There is also the added bonus of hearing a live cover or Iron Maiden's 'Wrathchild' complete with guest vocals from Harry Conklin of Jag Panzer. This makes a great release for both Serberus and Silencer fans, but if you can't get it be sure to check out the previous releases from each band.

Set One - Serberus
1.Our Dying Grace 2.Dark Dream 3.Ancient Throne 4.Seasons In Blood 5.In Eternity
Set Two - Silencer
6.Intro: Easter Island 7.The Error Of Your Ways 8.Industrial Command 9.Missing Hope 10.Descending The Ziggurat 11.Cold War 12.Wrathchild (Iron Maiden) with Harry Conklin/Jag Panzer vocal

http://www.serberus.com Serberus Official Page
http://www.silencer.cc Silencer Official Page

Thanks for the props man. We appreciate the support. Sorry about the CDR. it would have been mech too expensive to only get 300 professionly presses cds. its hard to even get a company to presss less than 1000, and if you can get one its very expensive. but i'm glad you liked the disk. Seasons of blood is slated to appear as a studio track in the future, by the way...

patrick

Your music is worth some praise. It's cool about the CDR, I just thought due to the fact that both bands put out a real - non CDR - disc last time that this CD would be no different. But the CD is still great and the live sound is the same! Both you and Silencer are two bands more people need to look into.