Setting up a live backing track

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
Hey guys I'm not 100% sure if this topic should go here but please excuse me I am a noob :p

Anyway that aside, i need some advice. I am producing my first ever EP and from a producer's perspective how does one set up a backing track for a live set? By this i mean like sending a metronome to the drummer while adjacent fx are going through the PA. I understand that concept as i've heard it from both I Am Abomination and Attack Attack. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

if the fx are in mono you can run a stereo track from an mp3 player one side metronome and one side fx

otherwise you have to use a laptop with an interface with more output channels, load all the tracks into your DAW, and route them to the individual output channels

They will most likely be in mono. The problem is getting one side to go to the drummer and the other to the PA. Will i need a special kind of wire for this?

Not too hard, I use my Iphone with all my backing tracks in stereo as said before, I use a cable that has the 1/8" jack for the Iphone on one side and stereo RCA on the other to separate the two sides, plug those into a small mixer which the drummer has next to him where he can adjust volumes of backing track/metronome to his liking, while sending an aux of the backing track to the PA

Heres how ive done it ,

SOURCE ( ie i pod , laptop) in your case prob a i pod

u bounce each song stereo pan the click left and backtracks right

than u get a y cable ( minijack to (2)(L&R) 1/8 inch) so u take the left plug it into channel 1 of a the drummers personal mixer pan that hard left than get the right y cable and plug that into channel 2 pan that hard right

than u plug the drummers headphones into teh headphone out of teh mixer so he will be able to adjust everything perfectly than u send the master RIGHT out so the Front of house

so ull have a personal mix but then ull be able to send just the tracks to the P.A and adjust the volume without it affecting the drummers in ears

thats the easiest way i no ..

Andrew