TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Artist: Severed Hand
Title: Keep Your Wives Inside
Release Date: 2005
Label: Self-released

New Jersey’s own Severed Hand are a band of youngsters who rather than follow trends and do what is hip show today’s youth what making true heavy metal is all about. This band is highly influenced by Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, early Metallica, and Death. Paris Bierk is the power house behind the drum kit and also is the son of former Skid Row lead singer Sebastian Bach. Vocalist Walter Figureoa has pipes of steel and is reminiscent of some of metal’s best such as Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, and Geoff Tate. Paul and Dave shred away on guitar while the very evil Mitch Burger picks away at the bass.

"Harvey" is the best song Iron Maiden never wrote somewhere between Piece of Mind and Powerslave. "Moriah" has a very Iced Earth influenced gallop to it. "Dumb Bitch" has a slow build up which whips into a thrashing frenzy. Some of Walter’s best vocals are showcased on this tune. "Prepare For War" is the bands live anthem and a total thrashster-piece. A line of complete brilliance is used in this song in which Walter snarls "Shut up bitch" and then screams "Prepareee for WARRRRRRR". I can’t help but bang my head when listening to this tune and envision myself in the center of a frenzied pit.

The overall sound of the band is difficult to pin point. Severed Hand has come a long way from being a punk band to a traditional metal band. These songs were written over the course of the past 6 or so years. Walter is the new vocalist to the band joining last December and was not in the band when the majority of these songs were initially written. However he comes through and does an amazing job laying down his high energy, high pitch, fully loaded vocals.

A Severed Hand EP is in the works in which all the songs were created with the current line up of the band and it is sure to define the thrash/power metal sound the band is aiming for. Watch out for these guys. They have already opened shows for Seven Witches and Sebastian Bach and will continue to be a rising force. Keep your wives inside because the hand is on the prowl.

http://www.metalasylum.net