circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Sex Museum – Fly By Night
Locomotive Music – LM141 – June 8th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

portad.jpg

I like sex. I like museums. So, it would make complete sense if I liked Sex Museum. Ahhhh, if it were only that easy. But, alas, it isn’t. Fly By Night, to get back on topic, is a live album that spans two discs, contains lots of original music, and throws in covers of Deep Purple, AC/DC, and The Who for piquancy. Sadly, much of Fly By Night is just average rock and roll.

Sex Museum have been around for nearly twenty years, and they have a gamut of material to prove it. In total, there are sixteen songs on this particular release, and the performance quality is pretty good. Though I don’t have a proclivity towards basking in the sonics of retro-rock, the production lacks nothing as the instrumentation is layered nicely, the vocalizations occupy the front like they should, and everything is essentially crisp clear. Most of this record is simply pedestrian, though. I rarely – if at all – found myself captivated by the antics of the group, and I noticed that I was mostly complacent during even the “inviting” moments of their set. I would recommend them, however, to those of you that enjoy retro-tinged, quick songs about nothing. There’s no overlying message to Fly By Night: the band is simply having fun.

Like I mentioned, I found Sex Museum to be a safe but uninteresting venture. I’m not the biggest fan of live albums either; they fail to capture the magic of actually being in the audience. At any rate, I think I’ll just tiptoe away from this one.

6.5/10

Official Sex Museum Website
Official Locomotive Music Website

I could use a dose of something like this. Been listening to too many pretentious "slowcore" bands and anguished metalcore and brutal death lately. A little dirty, simple hard rock could be a nice break... :Spin: