SHADOWLAND FT CLIVE NOLAN & KARL GROOM

Astrid

Jan 20, 2006
Barendrecht, the Netherlands
Karl and Shadowland are playing at De Boerderij in Zoetermeer on 21st February 2009. Unfortunately I can't make it to that gig :cry:, but anyone else who can and will be there: have loads of fun!!

Astrid

Karl was an intrinsic member playing on all three albums - notes from the Verglas website (a review written in 1999)

1992 Ring Of Roses

Shadowland are: Clive Nolan, who writes all the music and lyrics, sings all the songs and plays all of the keyboards on this album - genius or control freak?!!; the talented Karl Groom who plays some blinding guitar (plus bass pedals); the lovely Ian Salmon (a nicer guy you couldn't hope to meet) plays fretted/fretless bass and acoustic guitar; all of these solidly supported with the drums of Nick Harradence. 'Ring Of Roses' is their debut album which was originally released in 1992.

1994 Mad As A Hatter

Originally released in 1994, 'Through the Looking Glass' is a re-release of Shadowland's second outing on CD. The original artwork has been replaced with a design by Peter Nicholls, although some pictures from the original photo shoot for the CD are retained in the accompanying booklet. This re-release also features an additional bonus track, more of which later! As with Nolan's later release 'Jaberwocky', the title of this work is taken straight from Lewis Caroll.

1996 Through The Looking Glass

Recorded in 1996, 'Mad as a Hatter' is Shadowland's third and latest outing to date. The lineup is basically the same as for the first two albums, but with the addition of Mike Varty (Janison Edge) as a second keyboard player. On previous works all music and lyrics have been credited to Clive Nolan but here we have a departure, although all lyrics are still penned by Clive, some of the music on this work has been penned by other band members:- the track 'United States of Insanity' is a partnership between Nolan and Varty; 'Flatline' by Salmon and Varty and 'The Burning' is written by Varty alone. The overall feel of this work is darker and more sinister than its predecessors. Although the quality of production is superb and the musicianship faultless, this is not as instantly likeable as 'Through the Looking Glass' or 'Ring of Roses', but it certainly does grow with listening.

Sometimes it pays to have nerdy notes!!!:cool:

And that is the Threshold Harradence and the Ian Salmon that played some extras on WL

and a second edit - it wasn't the verglas site it was some review page called elrose new horizons. It's amazing what you find when you type karl groom in to google and read the first 300 pages that come up!!!! It was part of a "what bands have past and present Threshold members played with" project that will be unleashed one day!!!

My records have DW down as part of a backing choir and the implication was for the whole album. (source was a web bio for tracy Hitchings)

I haven't heard it - can you or anyone else clarify, did the backing choir only appear on the last track and what's the title of the track?

My records have DW down as part of a backing choir and the implication was for the whole album. (source was a web bio for tracy Hitchings)

I haven't heard it - can you or anyone else clarify, did the backing choir only appear on the last track and what's the title of the track?

If he does sing backing vocals on all of the tracks, then I can't hear him at all. Kind of like his supposed backing vocals on Mostly Autumn's Passengers album.

The only track I can hear him singing on is the last track called "Salvation Comes". Especially on the really strong words like "extremes", his high voice is heard way above the rest :)

Shadowland Live Dates
Riffs - UK
15.02.2009 | 19.00
Pub Rock Cafe - Poland
Wyspianski Theatre - Poland
Spirit of 66 - Belgium
De Boerderij - Netherlands
Die Halle - Germany

During the tour, Shadowland will also film a DVD (which will be called ‘Edge of Night' ) for release later in 2009

Can't seem to get the Shadowland My Space up (although I can get one to work for a second band called Shadowland!!!)

For those in the UK interested in this, I am pretty sure Riffs is in Swindon as I'm sure I have either been there or gone past the door

100-shadowland.jpg

UK progressive rockers Shadowland are going out on tour again for the first time in over twelve years. The band have announced a run of European dates in 2009 to coincide with a 'best of' compilation. Shadowland are:

Clive Nolan (Pendragon, Caamora, Arena, Neo) - vocals/piano
Karl Groom (Threshold, Strangers on a Train) - guitar
Mike Varty (Script for a Jester’s Tour, Credo) - keyboards
Mark Westwood (Caamora, Neo) - bass/acoustic
Nick Harradence (NW10) - drums

The 'best of' album will be called A Matter of Perspective, featuring their favourite tracks from the three previously released (but now unavailable) albums, and also boasting some brand new material. This CD (over 70 minutes of music) will be available from February 2009. During the tour, Shadowland will also film a DVD (which will be called Edge of Night) for release later in 2009. The tour dates announced so far are:

13 Feb 2009: Riffs, Swindon, UK
15 Feb 2009: Pub Rock Cafe, Bielsko-Biala, Poland
16 Feb 2009: Wyspianski Theatre, Katowice, Poland
20 Feb 2009: Spirit of 66, Verviers, Belgium
21 Feb 2009: De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Holland
22 Feb 2009: Die Halle, Frankfurt, Germany

For more information visit www.shadowlanduk.com

Found this on the site of De Boerderij:

[ 20.02.2010 ] | SHADOWLAND & JADIS

Good news!!

Ooohh, the same line-up as way back in the early 90's...only Shadowland cancelled and Jadis went on to perform, and my concert friend didn't go since he didn't know Jadis. Later on, he knew what Jadis was and greatly regretted not going. Though by now we've seen both Jadis and Shadowland once, and it looks like this will be the second time for both. Awesome.

Pling!

Obtained 2x concert ticket!