circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Shadows Fall – The War Within
Century Media Records – September 21st, 2004
By Jason Jordan

shadows1.jpg

First, Mastodon shatters their former albums by releasing the excellent Leviathan. Now, Shadows Fall does the same thing. The War Within decimates Of One Blood and The Art of Balance.

“The Light That Blinds” commences the new album, and a killer track it is. The aforementioned song features copious amounts of formidable riffs and interesting drumwork. The double-bass is in full swing this time around, and Bittner’s propensity for alternating between crash and China cymbals adds a cool, idiosyncratic effect. Fair’s vocals have hardly evolved from what we’ve heard before, but his emotive wretchings fit the overall mood. Guitar leads are nicely performed. Shadows Fall are certainly adept at composing enthralling rhythms; the group is tight on The War Within. I’m sure you know the metalcore sound the band formulates. Nevertheless, “What Drives the Weak,” “The Power of I and I,” and “Those Who Cannot Speak” are well above par. “The Power of I and I,” though, is unparalleled citing its smooth transitions and ferociousness. Furthermore, I liked every track on the release; “Enlightened by the Cold” is the weakest in my opinion, but most tracks never cease to entertain.

Century Media Records has a real diamond here. Expect to be seeing and hearing a lot of Shadows Fall over the course of the next few months. And, seeing as how The War Within is such a high-quality release, that’s not going to be a negative thing.

8.5/10

Official Shadows Fall website
Official Century Media Records website

I love this album. I had never heard Shadows Fall music, but I had heard the name a lot. This album was recommended to me by one of the ProgPower Vendors.

I love the intense vocals, and how they are changed up. Each song is clearly an extention of the previous one, but is no way the same song. The drums are driven and clear, while the guitars weave an intricate pattern of sound.

I also was able to get the Bonus DVD with this album, I wholeheartly haven't had an album grab me like this one did in a long time. With the execption of Tad Morose.

The War Within is a great album.

-MetalRose

This album does indeed kill! They have made me a new fan. I can hear some Iron Maiden, Metallica and Children of Bodom influence which is great. On the song "Ghosts of Past Failures" there is even a similair vibe to "Navigator" off the latest Edguy album Hellfire Club. Shadows Fall fucking rules and this album is a gem.

This album is totally killer, from the very first track. There are all kinds of little melodies and harmonies throughout the whole album, all placed in just the right spots. I could go on and on really about all the different things i like about this album, but the bottom line is that it just kicks ass, plain and simple.