SHADOWS FALL..........

4acidbath4

Jan 5, 2006
yo moms house
:kickass: An interesting review(blabbermouth.net), for a great cd. Recieved 8/10 Anyone have any other thoughts?

Will there be a metal release under more of a critical microscope this year than the new SHADOWS FALL? The band is, tangentially at least, tied to a metalcore scene that's seen as glutted and past its expiration date. And they're making their major-label debut after slogging it out for years at the indie level, with a producer whose credits include bands like FOO FIGHTERS. Never mind the years of hard work and no-hope gigging these guys did in the trenches; if the wind is right, you can hear the sound of the self-appointed guardians of metal cool sharpening their carving knives for this one.

And here's the thing — "Threads of Life" is slick. It's slick as all hell. From the chunky, muted rhythm guitars to the punchy drums to the smooth-like-buttah multi-tracked wall-of-vocals choruses, the bigger budget shines through here. There's an immediacy to the songs on "Threads of Life" that the band seemed to be trying for before, but lacked either the skill or the time to fully realize. You can almost feel the conscious restraint when the drums leave room for the vocals to take center stage — it's a lack of sonic clutter, a decision of what to put where sonically that makes things sound almost… orderly.

But give it a few listens, past when the choruses sink in and the genial rockin-ness of the album as a whole settles with you. Put the headphones on and really listen — there's a lot going on here. Take opener "Redemption" — the guitar lines twist and squirm like writhing animals, never content to settle into mere "riffs," endlessly tossing out bits of ear candy under the surface even when the vocals are going full-blast. And the soloing! There's some serious old-school guitar hero shit going on here, the kind of playing that's going to inspire a big chunk of MySpace-surfing thirteen-year-olds to head for the guitar shop.

All this talk of ear-friendliness may cause some to worry about heavy moments, but there are still plenty of mosh-worthy bits on "Threads of Life". "Failure of the Devout" is a thrash monster with nary a clean vocal in sight, and only an acoustic intro right out of 1990-era TESTAMENT to offset the crunch. Even a more midtempo song like "Venomous", where Brian Fair sings in a more tuneful, Hetfield-ian rasp and the drums propel the catchy riff urgently along, the overall effect isn't lack of heaviness. It's more a newfound confidence and professionalism, if that makes sense, a more forceful presentation that puts these admittedly more accessible tunes over. The band has hit that very elusive line between broadening the appeal of the music and selling out completely – talk about the art of balance!

Despite its '80s thrash ballad feel, I'm not 100% sold on "Another Hero Lost", but the rest of "Threads of Life" is chock-full of memorable songs, impassioned performances, ripping solos, and vocals you'll be singing along to for months to come. SHADOWS FALL have created a record so perfect for this time in their career, so well-executed, its seamlessness almost makes it look too easy. Don't fret, scene police – this is the same band you fell in love with in the underground, only better.

- Keith Bergman

It was lacking a little of the Shadows Fall "bite" for my taste, but the songs are a very clear attempt to push a more commercial envelope which I am almost always in favor of. This may not have been "the one" in terms of a great cd, but within the next 2-3 cds, I predict a true masterpiece.

Shadows Fall is one of the only bands I seem to like that get labeled with "metalcore" or whatever. That being said, the new album is good...but in my opinion, it's nowhere near as good as The War Within or The Art of Balance. The songs that are good are reaaaaalllly damn good but as for the rest of the cd, it just isn't doing so much for me. From my own personal standpoint, I feel that it lacks the consistency that was on both The War Within and The Art of Balance.

The tracks I really loved on the new cd are Burning the Lives, Venomous, Final Call, Dread Uprising, and Forevermore. Maybe I just haven't gave it enough spins yet...I dunno. I'm seeing them live tommorow with Lacuna Coil so maybe they will play some new songs to change my mind.

I was sorry I missed that tour, in part because I like Lacuna Coil (and they are very cool to talk to, particularly Andrea F.)

Shadow's Fall also fall into that 'cool to talk to' umbrella, aided by the fact that lead singer Brian Fair is a big fan of one of my very favorite non-metal bands.* I'm looking forward to giving their new CD a good listen.

-=-=-=-
* Ozric Tentacles, of course...Brian's long dreads kinda give THAT away :)

Same here...

I'm in the same boat. They have great riffs, playing, etc....but the songs haven't always grabbed me. I have this new one but haven't listened yet. I'll give it a whirl on the way into work......seems that I've gradually gotten to where I have to hear big hooks in what I listen to - whether it be the instruments or the vox. But if nothing sticks in my head, I tend to just shelve it.

A young band that kicks some ass is, Trivium. I love their latest, The Crusade. :headbang:

~Brian~

I just saw them for like the 4th time a couple of weeks ago - LOG, Trivium, Machine Head, and Gojira. Trivium didn't really get a great crowd response, there were a lot of people flipping them off, booing, etc. They're a tight band but I think what they did on The Crusade was done far better by Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Forbidden, etc back in 1991. I do think that they would be astounding if they'd get back more to the style of the last album. Seems like a focus on songwriting like Light To The Flies and Pull Harder... would just be huge. They're still growing and I think they're going to put out an album soon that we'll all crap our pants over.

They're a tight band but I think what they did on The Crusade was done far better by Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Forbidden, etc back in 1991.

Very true, but I like where their hearts are. At least they're not whining and singing through their noses like so many other modern bands. Personally, I'm glad they ditched the growling, but I'm probably in the minority.

~Brian~