Shaker/Tambourine/Percussion?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
What do you guys use for this? I want to get a shaker or a tambourine to liven up a section in a song.. I've got some individual samples but its really hard to get a flowing feel with just single samples.

Anyone got some samples or software they could share for this?

Also.. a ridiculously stereo clap sample.. Korn's 'Coming Undone' or Rihanna's 'Cold Case Love', how would I go about doing that? Just layer every clap sample I have, pan compress and distort?

Why not just record them?

You could even get the drummer or singer to shake it, so they'll later be like "that was actually me, fucking awesome"

I personally just use the Apple loops in Logic for that stuff.

Shakers are cheap as at Billy Hydes/ Allans, I wouldn't even bother with samples for those. Tambourines can be different. Cheap ones just sound like a christmas chime.
Claps I found to be pretty hard. I would definitely start with a decent sounding, slightly dead room.
When I did claps for my last project I used about 2 or 3 tracks of claps, one track of drum sticks (just hitting against each other) and thigh slaps. I did that because the sticks and thigh actually recorded better than the claps and together with the claps sounded more realistic and produced a better transient. The room I had was shit for claps.
The more people you can have clapping at once the better. Just try to get afew really tight ones and make a sample.

I might just try putting rice in a tin or something and use that.. hopefully will work. I got a decent sounding stereo clap going by layering about 6 samples I had.

edit: HandsOfDespair, if you could get a basic 4/4 beat (velocities being hard, soft, medium, soft so it gets the right feel), 16ths at 100bpm from Stylus that'd be awesome, in case doing it real doesn't work out.

If you want more oomph to your claps, layering with a sample works a treat. The recorded claps give "realness" and a human element/groove and the sample gives punch.

I made a shaker out of rice and an empty plastic bottle. Came out pretty mellow but nice. I guess varying the amount inside would change the sound.

I heard 2 pieces of sand paper rubbing together works great. a lot tighter and easier to control than a shaker. never tried it though

samples samples samples samples.... c'mon, as much as i swear by sampling drums when need be, an egg shaker is not that tough to record. nor is tamb. just give a lot of distance for the tamborine. although, i can understand sampling claps. they truely are tough to really grasp. layering with thighs and other natural slapping noises really does work wonders. but samples can come in handy for sure. if you record with a $0.90 egg shaker, it'll go smoother than fussing with samples. and because these high freq and high transient percussion instruments cut through just about everything, you don't have to leave as much sonic room, as most other instruments would require.

I'd have to agree, spend a couple of bucks on a tambourine and a small shaker and you'll be good to go. I have an inexpensive double row tambourine and I use that sucker all over the place.

In a pinch, rice in an aspirin container is still better than samples.

samples samples samples samples.... c'mon, as much as i swear by sampling drums when need be, an egg shaker is not that tough to record. nor is tamb. just give a lot of distance for the tamborine. although, i can understand sampling claps. they truely are tough to really grasp. layering with thighs and other natural slapping noises really does work wonders. but samples can come in handy for sure. if you record with a $0.90 egg shaker, it'll go smoother than fussing with samples. and because these high freq and high transient percussion instruments cut through just about everything, you don't have to leave as much sonic room, as most other instruments would require.

+1000