Shaw / Blades show at Joe's Sports Bar on April 5

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Bringing this info over from the PP forum.

Tommy Shaw (Styx / Damn Yankees) and Jack Blades (Night Ranger / Damn Yankees) have a new record out called Influence, featuring covers of lots of their classic rock, well, influences. Duh. I've always been a big fan of both and really liked their previous collaboration Hallucination.

Their new CD is on the new VH1 Classic label and they're doing a small tour to support it. The Chicago stop is at Joe's Sports Bar on Thursday April 5. I may go check it out. I know, not metal, but probably lots of overlapping interest. Anyone else?

Does anyone know the parking situation around that area (West Weed St, near Lincoln Park)?

http://www.myspace.com/shawbladesinfluence
http://www.joesbar.com/

Ken

parking is crap in that area. Basically get there early to get street parking..I think that is free. I think there is a pay garage right across the street now. I am sure in is pricey but at least you wont have to worry about you car. there are tons of parking lots for strip malls and stuff but I wouldnt park in those...may get towed. I think your best bet is to park in the pay garage. Neighboorhood is nice, so it isnt a bad area at least.

Still havent been to Joe's...they have odd ball shows pop up there once in a while.

Joe's is a great place for gigs.
I actually, by accident, saw Night Ranger there a few years back.
I have seen that local cover band Hairbanger's Ball there too.

More fuckin' importantly than that though...
MAYHEM / NOVEMBERS DOOM - Sunday July 22 @ JOE'S!!

I'm sorry. I really detest Joe's. It's the one venue that I refuse to go to for anything now. It's a bunch of pretentious assholes there. If you do go, get there early, and I mean EARLY. They have a tendency to keep a line two blocks long outside even when there is plenty of room on the inside strictly for the sake of making it look like their place is happenin' and sooo popular. This ain't fuckin' L.A., ya know what I mean? Trust me. I witnessed this first hand.

Well, nothing is keeping me away from seeing Nov Doom play at a bigger show. I am psyched that the guys will be getting to play in front of a packed crowd, and probably gaining many new fans in the process.

I have not been to Joe's since they have been hosting touring metal bands.

I'm sorry. I really detest Joe's. It's the one venue that I refuse to go to for anything now. It's a bunch of pretentious assholes there. If you do go, get there early, and I mean EARLY. They have a tendency to keep a line two blocks long outside even when there is plenty of room on the inside strictly for the sake of making it look like their place is happenin' and sooo popular. This ain't fuckin' L.A., ya know what I mean? Trust me. I witnessed this first hand.

I totally agree with you Rachel. Having worked for several bands and spending plenty of time inside this place I can tell you it's a nice place but the staff and the way they jam people into the room makes any show here a miserable experience. I am so bummed that this show is at Joes because I wanted to see it worst than anything (I love Styx and Night Ranger) but since I no longer have too I also refuse to step foot back into that place.

I totally agree with you Rachel. Having worked for several bands and spending plenty of time inside this place I can tell you it's a nice place but the staff and the way they jam people into the room makes any show here a miserable experience. I am so bummed that this show is at Joes because I wanted to see it worst than anything (I love Styx and Night Ranger) but since I no longer have too I also refuse to step foot back into that place.

Glad you agree Tony. It only took me one time to make that conclusion. Like you said, it is nice, but the negatives outweigh the positives. It is VERY sad that Joe's has to be that way, because besides this particular show, there have been other acts coming through town that I did really want to see...but I won't step foot in there either. Out of all the venues in Chicagoland, why Joe's??!! Ugh.

What's the problem with Joe's? I've never hand to stand in line to get in. I admit I haven't been there in several months though. So you think it has changed and not for the better? That sucks. :ill: