Sheavy - Republic

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
I've had the promo of this for a couple of weeks now - it's pretty much rocking my socks off atm, the singer sounds exactly like Ozzy used to when he still ruled, and the music is a 70s style doom/rock bass-heavy riff-fest. Anyone else heard this?

Here's what I reckon is the highlight track - NAD, I reckon you'd dig this:

http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=369LXCW4D98DH0Y9Z93IPJ986F

I've read nothing but terrible things about this; primarily because it's their 3rd (or 4th) straight release with absolutely ZERO deviation from their early Sabbath rip-off style.

Celestial Hi-Fi is their album to own, btw.

Hmm... dunno whether I'd consider them a straight Sabbath clone band, even though the vocalist's spooky resemblance to Ozzy would suggest just that. There's quite a bit of diversity in the sound of this album, from straight slow-as-hell doom to quite rapid, driving passages, to more considered and ambient moments. I gather the last album was pretty shit, but I'm really digging this one.

markgugs said:
t's their 3rd (or 4th) straight release with absolutely ZERO deviation from their early Sabbath rip-off style.

no idea on the accuracy of that, but quoting because I don't like this band

I have only "The Electric Sleep" and its FUCKING AMAZING. Yes its a pure Black Sabbath copy, but who cares, we all know that if you copy Black Sabbath's style 100% and have inspiration, you're gonna rock. I have to agree that i havent heard many good comments about their latest albums though.

Here are my notes from when I listened to this a few weeks back:

"Sabbath tribute band; less 'scares' & more groove a la "Sabbra Cadabra" style Sabs; great vocals - sounds like a young Ozzy; perhaps the next best thing to a Wino project but the bottom end is sorely lacking; this is all Iommi & Ozzy, but no Butler or Ward; plus it gets a little repetitive."

7/10

i have an album by them downloaded, didn't do much for me but i didn't much pay attention either. okay listening to this sample, wtf Ozzy?!!?

Decent album--nothing great but a fun listen. I reviewed this for MetalReview--think I gave it like a 4/6 or something.

heard em a while ago, cool that they're from Nova Scotia, where my mom's family is from, but they didn't sound like all that. this mp3 better be convincing!

song review:

first half FAILS. boring. second half improves on the first and features more of those FRIGHTENINGLY OZZYISH VOCALS! I've heard this band a few times before but it must have been different albums or something..maybe he didn't have this shit perfected yet! overall.. not great. buyable? yeah, probably. i like doom.

anyone who says magnus pelander sounds like ozzy needs to have this album thrown at them at LUDICROUS SPEED!