Shelter - Eternal

BrandonS

Apr 5, 2003
Shelter - Eternal
Dockyard 1 - DY100252 - 2006
By Brandon Strader

Shelter-Eternal.jpg

Well, what can be said about Shelter? Such a legendary group with such an unlegendary sound... They are "pop-core" after all, whatever the heck THAT means. Sounds like the most horribly generic punk rock I've ever heard. It's got all the characteristics of punk metal: flat unvibrato'd vocals, simple punk riffs and progressions, extreme repetition despite extremely short song lengths, very simple drum-patterns, and the bass follows the guitars completely without any actual part of its own. What more can be said about Eternal? You've heard it a thousand times...

The vocals are extremely horrible and uninspired. A lot of the time they are off-key, which is especially noticable when they are used in layers. A lot of the time the vocals are very corny and embarrassing.. I was going to state an example song title, but... well... they're all like that. I guess by punk standards, Eternal is pretty 'cool' and will fit right in with the hundreds and hundreds of punk rock albums released every year, but out of that scene context, Eternal is very, very horrible. But I must say, I started to stare into space like I usually do due to years of video gaming, and the simplistic beats and arrangements almost made me jiggle in my seat. Recommended to 10 year old girls - possibly the target of Eternal?

1/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Shelter Website
Official Dockyard 1 Website