SHINEDOWN's 'The Crow & The Butterfly' Gets 'American Idol' Treatment From Contestant

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Slapout, Alabama's "American Idol" star Jessica Meuse, who was one of 13 contestants to perform on Wednesday night's (February 26) episode of the Fox TV talent show, delivered her rendition of SHINEDOWN's "The Crow & The Butterfly" a song from the band's 2008 album "The Sound Of Madness". Check out video footage of her appearance below.According to AL.com, mentor Randy Jackson counseled Meuse, 23, during rehearsals to dig deeply into the emotions. "She has to find a way to commit to the feeling in the song and communicate that to the audience and judges," Jackson said. Judge Keith Urban said, "That was a bold but cool song choice," and praised the "dark, haunting quality" of Meuse's delivery, adding that her voice has an "an edge and a rasp that's really appealing." "I thought it was strong, man," fellow judge Harry Connick said. "I heard a different sound in your voice. That was really nice.""The Crow & The Butterfly" was the fifth single from "The Sound Of Madness". SHINEDOWN singer Brent Smith explained in a radio interview that while the band was writing the CD, he had a dream about a mother whose son passes away. He wrote the song about the mother dealing with the death of her child and trying to move on.On the SHINEDOWN blog, Smith said this about the song: "For me, lyrically, this was one of the most intense stories I have ever written. But I know the song means something different to everyone."

More...