SHM-CD?

P4T0U

Dec 25, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Anybody heard about SHM-CD? On SOB, it says BD Special Edition, HCD and AYDY will release in SHM quality. I would like to know more about it...

Anybody heard about SHM-CD? On SOB, it says BD Special Edition, HCD and AYDY will release in SHM quality. I would like to know more about it...

"SHM-CD

The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players."

I have pre-ordered the Blooddrunk Japanese special edition and I'm ready to bet all my money on that I can't hear the difference between the SHM-CD and a normal CD.

Some sources say that SHM CDs have less distorted and more balanced sound than regular CDs and that the insufficient low end volume of conventional CD is dissolved. I have had change to listen some SHM CDs with rather good player, amplifier and speakers and I couldn't hear any difference compared to normal CDs.

I have pre-ordered the Blooddrunk Japanese special edition and I'm ready to bet all my money on that I can't hear the difference between the SHM-CD and a normal CD.

QFT

Also, SACD is way more than a mere polycarbonate whatever: it's audio the way it's meant to be heard. You don't need to be an audiophile to drop your jaws at the immense quality of a SACD :)

SHM-CD is some kind of hyper-quality CD, as the SACD could be. The inconvenient is, you won't read it on any player on Earth.

There's a little difference, but it depends of the band and music. You couldn't tell on pop music or easy listening things, but on complex and developped thing you can hear the difference.
It becomes easier to hear the different instrument and etc.
For an exemple it could be cool to hear the last Moonsorrow CD on it, because theirs a lot of indistincable (word?) thing on the CD, so you could hear them on SHM. Big orcheastra and shit like that would be cool too.

There's a little difference, but it depends of the band and music. You couldn't tell on pop music or easy listening things, but on complex and developped thing you can hear the difference.
It becomes easier to hear the different instrument and etc.
For an exemple it could be cool to hear the last Moonsorrow CD on it, because theirs a lot of indistincable (word?) thing on the CD, so you could hear them on SHM. Big orcheastra and shit like that would be cool too.
Or any Nine Inch Nails or Prince album.

And this thread is Off-Topic because...?
Because it's off-topic, dude.